911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A little help - two unidentified wires/cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:15 PM
MTN930
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help - two unidentified wires/cluster

Hi - I'm the middle of changing out dual CDIs (twin plug) and after I had removed them noticed two wires that didn't seem to be connected to anything - one wire and one connector with three wires.

I'm uncertain if they need to be connected as the car was running fine prior prior to pulling the CDIs and discovering their disconnected state.

On the one that is a plug w/ the three wires, I can't seem to find its compliment to plug it into (see the photos to see the plug w/ three wires.

As for the single purple wire, it is as you see then runs back toward the cabin and disappears in the jungle of engine stuff (again, see photos).

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

For reference: 1986 930
Attached Images       
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

"the one that is a plug w/ the three wires" looks like Lambda 02 sensor plug.. The purple wire and the twisted blk/red are not factory and look like they may have been part of a 7th injector set-up, or the twisted pair may have been for intercooler temp gauge.. Common on modified turbos back in the day.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:21 AM
MTN930
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Onboost

Onboost - thanks for the reply. Appreciate the guidance on the plug w/ the three wires.

BTW - I found that the single purple wire actually belonged to a fuel pump relay - somewhere in the car's life someone replaced the original wire with the purple one.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh yeah, the twisted black/red is for an intercooler temperature gauge. It has two of those black/red twisted wires that measure incoming and outgoing air temps - displayed in a digital Andial temp gauge in the dash. You're right in your diagnosis.

Lastly, what is the "7th injector setup"? I've not heard that term before? Thanks.

Quick Reply: A little help - two unidentified wires/cluster