Need a hand with this 1983 930

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a hand with this 1983 930

Hey guys,
I come to you from the 993 world. Love the 930, but not enough to sell my 993, until this popped up. Even then, only if I can score it cheap. 6 months ago an older lady that my mom goes to church with says her uncle/brother/whoever, passed away, has this P-car for sale and if I'm interested...I know, couldn't be more vague right. I start in with all the questions and get very few answers, then I get these photos texted to me today from my mom. She took only these, didn't get a photo of the interior, speedo, vin, NOTHING. Again, I know, super frustrating. I left a message for the lady, waiting for a return call. I can't wait to speak with her on the phone. (thats sarcasm) Anyway, at a glance, what's this thing worth? If mileage is reasonable and there is some sort of record history? Like I said, if it was a 993 I wouldn't have to ask. Here ya go.
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Need more information.
It's not an '83 unless someone went through a lot of trouble to make it into a newer US spec cab, in which case it would not be worth even close to as much as the real thing.
Looks worth pursuing at any rate.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:51 PM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like US spec bumperettes in rear, stock exhaust, you'd have to run the vin, do some research, anybody you can trust to get some answers? Who takes care of your 993?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 AM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Hergesheimer Motorsports, Lake Forest. It's been sitting for 2 years, the photos are of it coming to her house from the storage unit yesterday. The car is in somewhere out in Riverside, prolly gonna tell her just to put it right back on that flatbed and have it sent there. If I don't buy it, having them go through it could only help whoever does. I'm still waiting for my return phone call.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous looking car.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunday Sunday Sunday

I'd take your mom to church on Sunday, maybe comb your hair. The tow operator undoubtedly knows a guy who wants that car more than you do so don't wait for the call.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nine45s is on to something. It looks a newer US spec car
Old 09-25-2017, 12:30 AM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

2 owner, 75K miles. New top, but other than that it's stock. This is all what I have heard, headed out to see it in person this week. She doesn't seem in too big of a rush, also not sure if she knows what she has. taking a budget of 45k for the "buy it now" price. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Headed out to see it tmw. Got a PPI lined up in Temecula
Old 09-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Have them check the cats. My dad's 89 cats collapsed, which was a pain in the ***. Died on me on the way to Sebring of all places... Other than that, our car has been great since new. Everything works. Well, A/C is ****, but that is always true. The only thing I would specifically request other than the leak down is that they actually measure the voltage on the oil pressure gauge. I have found those to be dodgy in their old age.

Good luck. You have a great looking car there!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmmmm, couple of things here...

If it is in fact a cab, then it is not a factory Turbo as Porsche did not make Turbo cabs until 86ish. So this car would be an SC (83 being the fist year for the cabriolet) with a Turbo body conversion and possibly a Turbo motor install.

Of course it could also be a Targa that has been cut into a cab. You should post add'l pics and a serial number to better understand what you have there.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Wow, you guys are good and soooo correct! I don't know where to start. The old lady that currently has the car has no idea where she is, let alone anything about this car. What I now know is that it's got a salvage title and was originally white. Then painted red. Then painted white again...5 different shades of white, no panels match. The tub of the car inside is white and it is a wide body car. Other than that the rear decklid doesn't sit flush and the stickers on the rear apron look like you printed them off your computer, and in the wrong places. Not sure if there is supposed to be an options code sticker on the inside of the frunk lid, but that doesn't matter it looks like that was painted with a paint roller yet another shade of white. What it does have going for it is that it's badass looking and I could drive it everyday and total it without caring, but I fear it would take more to get it running reliably than I would be willing to pay for it. WP0EA0917DZ170428 is the vin if anyone knows, or wants to know anything about this car. I didn't make an offer, but if I had to I'm guessing 10-15k. Thoughts??
Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

VIN is definitely 83. Additionally decodes to a cabrio.

Some interesting features it has:

85+ seats
86+ dash
85+ Exclusive steering wheel
Rear wheels appear to be 9"

The first official M491 cabrio wasn't until '84 I think. This could be a dealer or Special wishes (by request) job, but too hard to tell. Would necessitate a closer inspection.

It has the 3rd brakelight (wasn't mandatory until 86), which suggests this is a post-factory conversion. That said, it appears well done from the pictures.

Brakes are hard to tell, but look like SC brakes.

Because it looks so good, you should make sure it isn't a VIN swap. This is unlikely, but possible.

My guess is SC underneath, but very comprehensive body and interior change. Assuming it is mechanically and structurally sound, looks like a great car. I'd drive it!

Like anything, needs said mechanical and structural assessment.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 03-09-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 AM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Funny that you say that about the vin. I wasn't sure where the vin would be located on this car, but I"m damn sure it shouldn't be cheaply riveted to the A pilar on the drivers side, and absolutely no where else on the car! I'll post a photo of the debauchery tmw. I'm torn on how much time to spend on digging into this thing. What is the easiest way to do the detective work? You seem like a great P.I.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, so its an 83 cabrio.. not so bad, this was the first year for 911 cab production. So at least it wasn't a Targa that's been chopped into a cab. There will not be an option code sticker in the trunk.. you didn't start to see that until 86

I doubt that the wide body on the car is factory, but nothing wrong with that. Back in the day this was a common conversion cause we all know/knew that the wide body was sexy. As an 83, the conversion was probably done in the late 80's or early 90's after the factory turbo cars became available.. everybody wanted one and the conversion was the way to go. Cali had tons of these running around.

The vin, not uncommon to see them poorly re-riveted to the drivers A-Pillar if interior work or color change has been done. Also, check the flat panel in the trunk on the passenger side above the gas tank. The numbers should match..
-if not, or the panel is missing or carved-out.. Run Forrest run!

Have you looked at the engine, is it a 3.0 or was it swapped to a Turbo motor?

Quick Reply: Need a hand with this 1983 930