911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need a hand with this 1983 930

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:44 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by For202fly
Funny that you say that about the vin. I wasn't sure where the vin would be located on this car, but I"m damn sure it shouldn't be cheaply riveted to the A pilar on the drivers side, and absolutely no where else on the car! I'll post a photo of the debauchery tmw. I'm torn on how much time to spend on digging into this thing. What is the easiest way to do the detective work? You seem like a great P.I.
Private Investigator? Why thank you. It's kind of like "I Spy." Fun. Maybe I just never grew out of that game?

The real experts for the torsion bar cars hang out on Pelican though. That said, I think you should at least look at the engine.

Anyway - as for the A-pillar VIN they are riveted at the factory. If the actual plate looks scratched or the rivets look sketchy, that could raise a concern but not necessarily alarm. As onboost mentions, this could have been removed and replaced during the dash swap.

There is also a sticker in the dirver's door jamb (like your 993). This could have a few coats of badly-masked overspray (you say the car was changed to red then back to white). It states the VIN. If this sticker is missing altogether, which is unlikely, that is mildly concerning but possible given the repaints.

As onboost mentions, there is also a chassis number in the trunk. As I recall, digits in places 4-6 won't match (replaced by ZZZ). These are reserved for destination-specific characters and present only in the door jamb and A-pillar tags.

I would pull up the trunk liner, look for this VIN. Look for any hammer marks, strange welds, funny looking paint, etc. These things could point to (but don't necessarily ensure) a clip replacement. Picture stolen from Pelican, edited with circle for VIN:

The black paint on the number is normal. I think the black paint on the strut towers is also normal, as they are visible in the trunk and that is done to hide the color. Worst case scenario - the VINs don't match. This can mean several things; A-pillar VIN swap (theft, drugs, otherwise "hot," etc.), new front clip (this far back means some fairly appreciable damage or major rust). In the case of the latter, have an expert look at on a lift and take measurements to make sure it was done correctly. In the case of the former ("hot" car), you would need to ensure local authorities are aware of the history so you don't have the headache of a car that was stolen in 1984 and "never recovered." I think I've read accounts of "hot" cars even having the trunk VIN ground off. You don't want a "hot" car unless authorities have approved it (new title?), cleared it, signed, sealed, delivered, etc.

I think there is a third chassis number (may just be sequential production number) behind the dash, ashtray area. Not very easy to access IIRC.

What surprises me about this car is that, assuming it is an 83 cab, someone spent a lot of funds and time to make this look like a real turbo or M491 cab. Based on these pictures, as a passerby I would believe it to be such. There are none of the popular shortcuts on this car; correct interior, airdam, bumper, wheels, "UFO" brakelight, etc. The rear reflector and headlights don't match (87+ headlights, -86 reflector), but many people upgraded the headlights.

Next I think you need to open the engine lid and also get a better look at the brakes and interior. In the interior check the side vents: are they like your 993? This car originally would have narrower, angled ones. These are harder to swap than the upper dash. They changed to larger ones like your 993 in '86 when they changed the dash.

For the actual car regardless of what it is, I would check underneath for how it looks. Also for rust check base of windshield, front battery tray, door jambs, base of cab top.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-29-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:52 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys rule. Headed back out there next week and will do further investigation. I did check the engine, and it is a turbo. You know, regardless of it having a branded title, rebuilt with a land of misfit parts there still is a value that can be attached to this car. Although it's value is less than the sum of it's parts, I'm still interested. Hell, I'd love to get it running, paint it Gulf Blue, and rock that thing all over town!

Quick Reply: Need a hand with this 1983 930