Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How-to: duck tail on a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:52 AM
adomakin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers mike. I came to this thread from a link on pelican. just lookied at the date of the post before mine-its over a year ago!

Andy
Old 01-06-2005, 11:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by p.vanderlinden
pig4bill,

Actually Andial owed me for a project I had helped them with, so the twin plug/porting/valves/springs/guides were part of the fee. I just wanted a little extra insurance with the motor because of the crappy gas we get in Southern California (oxygenated 91 octane). The car has never been on the track because I really cant afford any engine (or crash) problems.

socalmike,

I used to be in the resto business (and have won Pebble Beach, etc..). I found the best way to make aluminum look fresh is to lightly bead blast the part and then brush it gently with one of those small stainless steel tooth brush type brushes and a 3M scotchbrite pad using WD 40 as a lubricant. The trick is to go real easy and work the dirt/oil out of the pores/nooks and crannys without leaving brush marks. this gives aluminum that "as cast" look. After all that, put the part some place where it's warm and spray more WD40 on it. Let soak for few hours, wipe off and repeat a couple more times. It's a PITA but the results are worth it, the parts always end up with a nice honest look and not overworked/polished/painted. By the way, to make aluminum look like magnesium, have part "hard anodized" to .002 thickness. This has been known to fool the best concourse judges.

Cheers, Paul
I hate to bust your chops but part of the reason why the fan looks like Magnesium is because it is Magnesium. The work is tremendous very nice job.

Quick Reply: How-to: duck tail on a turbo