Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking into this 1989 911, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into this 1989 911, what do you think?

The price seems a little high. The paint isn't as perfect as the pictures indicate. There are some white spots here and there, but smooth for some reason within the red paint, but it isn't much of that. Car looks pretty good for original-sort of. The passenger door has been painted I think but they did a very good match. I just saw some slight waves. Anything else anyone see. I am a little new to this search and don't know all that much yet. Thanks for any thoughts on it. Looking for more of a car I drive quite a bit, but not in bad weather.

http://www.foreigntraffic.com/listin...911-targa-red/
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I saw the car today at the Pittsburgh Historics at the Foreign Traffic tent, it's beautiful, don't know what the mechanicals are like, etc. But in my opinion $59,500 is too high by quite a lot.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:25 PM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by grgallo
I saw the car today at the Pittsburgh Historics at the Foreign Traffic tent, it's beautiful, don't know what the mechanicals are like, etc. But in my opinion $59,500 is too high by quite a lot.
I might have bumped into you there. What a great day. Anyway, I am not sure how much it should be, but I doubt they will come down much. I just bought a car from them the other month and looking for an older 911 targa. Oddly that is a color combo I really like and really about what I would want, but I wish it was $49,000, but that isn't going to happen.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get a PPI and see what the car really needs. Then you may be able to negotiate down some. Because at the price they are asking, everything has to be damn near perfect. By that I mean brakes, suspension, body integrity, engine leak down, i.e., no repairs needed at all. Clutch replaced or transmission rebuild? Any engine work done? Maybe they would give you a warranty if you are local.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

The Market has softened over the last couple of months. I think that is quite high if it is USD. I would say more like 50 as you KNOW its going to need stuff.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
I might have bumped into you there. What a great day. Anyway, I am not sure how much it should be, but I doubt they will come down much. I just bought a car from them the other month and looking for an older 911 targa. Oddly that is a color combo I really like and really about what I would want, but I wish it was $49,000, but that isn't going to happen.
Yes it was a great day, love the Pittsburgh Historics, So you've probably done a bit of market research. Excellence magazine (I'm not always convinced they are spot on) says the 87-89 Targa ranges in price from $30K, $42.5K to $55K; $55K being excellent which means NOTHING WRONG and NOTHING needs to be done. And they put the Coupe version of this car at $62K. As an owner of an '87 Coupe I won't complain, but I think these numbers are too high. My observation is the market is plateauing, so even though the car you are looking at is low mileage and beautiful, I would proceed with a PPI and if it turns out perfect, negotiate a price, go in low.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 PM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
The Market has softened over the last couple of months. I think that is quite high if it is USD. I would say more like 50 as you KNOW its going to need stuff.
I have noticed the softening not only on older Porsches but man Ferraris are dropping pretty hard. Wonder if it is just the time of year and some of the people that bought these older cars now realize they are not just turn key all the time, they take some work to keep up on. Should be interesting to see how far they go down and settle for the winter months. I am looking, but that one I am passing on. They will never drop it enough because I think it is about $10K over as you stated. That was my first thought on it. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by grgallo
Yes it was a great day, love the Pittsburgh Historics, So you've probably done a bit of market research. Excellence magazine (I'm not always convinced they are spot on) says the 87-89 Targa ranges in price from $30K, $42.5K to $55K; $55K being excellent which means NOTHING WRONG and NOTHING needs to be done. And they put the Coupe version of this car at $62K. As an owner of an '87 Coupe I won't complain, but I think these numbers are too high. My observation is the market is plateauing, so even though the car you are looking at is low mileage and beautiful, I would proceed with a PPI and if it turns out perfect, negotiate a price, go in low.
Thanks for the help. Think I will take my time and look for a late '80's targa. Funny thing is, I was looking at newer 991's and decided to get an S5 instead for my daily, now I need something a little more.... well a Porsche, but feel the late '80s is where I want to look.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Probably a bit strong. If it passes a PPI w/o any majors needed and you get it at say ... 55... maybe a bit strong but not really 'hurt'.

Trust me, my 89 is clean, but its not THAT clean, and it needs a few interior things done... and I wouldn't sell it for 60. Because I'll have a hell of a time finding another that I now know the history of... !!!

If you like the car, spend a few $ and make an offer.. those buy cars.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:12 AM
Sonoma707
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Hagerty site for valuation. It provides good info to help you decide.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gg1
I have noticed the softening not only on older Porsches but man Ferraris are dropping pretty hard. Wonder if it is just the time of year and some of the people that bought these older cars now realize they are not just turn key all the time, they take some work to keep up on. Should be interesting to see how far they go down and settle for the winter months. I am looking, but that one I am passing on. They will never drop it enough because I think it is about $10K over as you stated. That was my first thought on it. Thanks.
This is precisely why I cringe when guys come on here and state they want to buy a 911 as an investment.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gg1
Thanks for the help. Think I will take my time and look for a late '80's targa. Funny thing is, I was looking at newer 991's and decided to get an S5 instead for my daily, now I need something a little more.... well a Porsche, but feel the late '80s is where I want to look.
i'd LOVE an S-5 and hope to put one in my garage one day . They are still getting strong money here where I live and you cant even touch a first year one for under 25G and that is with really high mileage.
Ive had 3 Audis and for all there issues I still love the Brand and still have an A4 2.0T
Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 PM
gg1
Advanced

i'd LOVE an S-5 and hope to put one in my garage one day . They are still getting strong money here where I live and you cant even touch a first year one for under 25G and that is with really high mileage.
Ive had 3 Audis and for all there issues I still love the Brand and still have an A4 2.0T
This is my second Audi and I never had any issues as of yet. Nothing went wrong with my last Audi at well over 150K miles and I figure the car will be good for at least 250K with not many issues. They are not the Audis of yesteryear that is for sure. I expect to get 100K out of this S5 with no money out of pocket on odd stuff. They are just that good now.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 PM
gg1
Advanced

This is precisely why I cringe when guys come on here and state they want to buy a 911 as an investment.
Investing in cars is really tough. I don't understand why Ferrari is getting pounded right now, but they are.

Why did this car sell for so low? Seems like it was a GREAT deal!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Porsche...RZYitM&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gg1
This is my second Audi and I never had any issues as of yet. Nothing went wrong with my last Audi at well over 150K miles and I figure the car will be good for at least 250K with not many issues. They are not the Audis of yesteryear that is for sure. I expect to get 100K out of this S5 with no money out of pocket on odd stuff. They are just that good now.
To be honest I usually pick them up with about 250-300k on them ( km) and have to deal with a lot of deferred maintenance. But I don't mind as I enjoy i easily get 10 years out of them. I retired my a6 with 425k.
The early 2.0t is problematic with an engine ending design. Not unlike what the ims is to the 996. But what a fun car to drive.
I'd love an s-5 4.2. Think il wait till my son moves out. ��

Last edited by theiceman; 07-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking into this 1989 911, what do you think?