Advice on a '75 Slantnose Targa

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:21 AM
RichSilva
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a '75 Slantnose Targa

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and looking at a 1975 911 Targa with a widebody slantnose conversion. While I know the slantnoses aren't for everyone, but I've always liked them and came across this one online the other day. As this would be my first Porsche I thought I'd ask everyone what they thought. Below is the dealer's overview along with a link to the ad. I understand that this a heavily modified car and as such a PPI is key, but I'd also like to know what you all think about the price and modifications. I would be looking to use the car as a daily driver with possible light track use. Thanks in advance for all the help.

1975 Porsche 911 Targa
White over Black
Wide Body Slant Nose Conversion
3.6l Varioram 993 Motor
915 Gearbox with Limited Slip Differential
Professionally Built

This is a very interesting take on a mid '70s 911 build. Starting with a '75 Targa, the previous owner commissioned a full slant nose wide body build and repaint with 993 engine install for a total estimated cost of over $100k!

The powertrain is by far the star of the show here. Under the whale tail decklid is a 3.6 liter Varioram 993 engine, sourced from a 54k mile donor car. The 993 engine combines the soul one would expect in an air cooled Porsche, but with modern fuel injection, superior efficiency, proven reliability and effortless power. The engine is mated to a 915 gearbox with a new clutch and a limited slip differential. Obviously, this raises the driving excitement by several orders of magnitude.

The body was taken to bare metal and professionally converted at a cost of over $18,000. The car wears white paint, and has steel flares, new front/rear glass, and overall looks great.

The suspension/brakes feature a number of upgrades. Starting with Koni shocks at all four corners, the build includes 22mm Tarret Engineering sways with adjustable end links, 21/28mm torsion bars, Turbo tie rod ends, and numerous new suspension bushings. Further, the car has upgraded Brembo calipers and ventilated rotors at all four corners. Finally, the wheels are a tasteful Forgeline set in an 18" diameter. This is a great setup for street or light track/autocross use, and feels very composed and well balanced.

The interior is also in great condition, with no rips, tears or stains owing to the several thousands in repairs/refurbishment carried out by the previous owner. But the real surprise is the audio system--which is in keeping with the concept of a 911 as a sportscar that can be used every day. At a total installed cost of nearly $9k, the aesthetically tasteful system boasts a AM/FM/XM Bluetooth capability, a 6 channel amplifier, SiriusXM, a windshield antenna, and a very neat rear seat delete.

Overall, this is a stunning, balanced, vintage 911 that delivers modern performance in a package that still feels very analog.

http://www.scottsdaleferrari.com/det...-16479185.html
Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If it looks as nice in person as it does in the photos, I'd say it could be an okay deal on a nicely hot-rodded Porsche. What kind of shape is that 42 yo body really in? Is the chassis and suspension done well enough to carry that amount of power? Does a 915 really work well with a 3.6l engine? You should have a G50 with that. Also, for that money you could buy an early stock 993.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:15 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

It looks to be a nice hot rod. Nothing much early Porsche about it. Not my cup of tea; somebody else's dream.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:37 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks well done but I figure it is $15-20k over market price.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I think the OP was written by the same Penske sales department that wrote the ad. The only thing left out was the sale price.

EDIT: Found the price.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I just ignored that, though agree.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OP still hasn't signed back on to Rennlist leaving no doubt in my mind that the post is SPAM. If not a Penske employee then likely the owner of the car. The details in the ad make it clear the writer knows the car inside and out. Why spend so much time on the ad.....I mean post....then not stick around or even return to see what we think? Anyone truly interested in the car would not broadcast it's whereabouts to the world.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 AM
RichSilva
7th Gear

All, apologies for any confusion regarding my post, as I said I'm new to all of this. I assure you my post was NOT SPAM and that I'm NOT the owner of the car. The information I posted about the car was pasted directly from the dealer website. At the risk of advertising the car to the world, I was just trying to get some advice as this is my first foray into buying something like this. Sorry again for any confusion.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 AM
RichSilva
7th Gear

PepRRRR!, I'm also concerned about how well a 915 transmission would work with 993 motor and I also think the car is pretty overpriced.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The 915 and the 993 motor often work well together. If your car really was "professionally built" then the builder used all the correct side plates and girdles. If not, then it's like everything else the car hobby sees.

My assessment of the original post was based on how well the opening paragraph matched the text lifted from the ad. Looks to have all come from the same mind.

We may be better able to help you if you tell us what you think is wrong with the car. My list is a mile long, what is on your list?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

"But the real surprise is the audio system--which is in keeping with the concept of a 911 as a sportscar that can be used every day. At a total installed cost of nearly $9k, the aesthetically tasteful system boasts a AM/FM/XM Bluetooth capability, a 6 channel amplifier, SiriusXM, a windshield antenna, and a very neat rear seat delete.'

To quote the title of a long-running thread over on the Early Esses site, "Seriously?"
Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by raspritz
"But the real surprise is the audio system--which is in keeping with the concept of a 911 as a sportscar that can be used every day. At a total installed cost of nearly $9k, the aesthetically tasteful system boasts a AM/FM/XM Bluetooth capability, a 6 channel amplifier, SiriusXM, a windshield antenna, and a very neat rear seat delete.'

To quote the title of a long-running thread over on the Early Esses site, "Seriously?"
The entire thing is delusional. It's a Targa. Guy builds a "$100,000" 911 but starts with a '75 Targa??? Um.....I admit I'd love to own the car, but all the sissy nav/sound/back seat crap, the boxed rockers, the seats, and a bunch of other junk comes out before it leaves the driveway.

Quick Reply: Advice on a '75 Slantnose Targa