Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front Hub Grease Seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rears done!

Waiting for the new hard lines, grease seals, and bearing packer to get here on Thurs. then I can finish up the fronts..

...but heres the rear.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

while waiting, you can clean up those springplates
Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

which pads did you go with ?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
The parts are coming Thursday, why would suggest this? You monster! This is just a guaranteed way to end up thinking "Okay... wait...so what angle were the plates at before?

I only did mine because the bushings had to be replaced, otherwise I wouldn't have touched the bastards. Dealing with stuck torsion bars, bar indexing, full alignment? Aw man forget it. That said the caps and plates do look pretty good in metallic aluminum spray.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And then the corosion is like a ticking time bomb, the springplate looks crusty compared to the clean caliper. I mean look at it, it looks like the pictures in an old Clymer manual that were taken from disassembling some old junker in England.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cam, the same group of guys broke my ***** over spring plates and hardware that was too clean, too freshly plated. I'm actually going to join in......dude, it's time to send it all off to plating.

All this zinc on my engine was something like $80 a few years ago. Every single bolt on my car that I have touched has been replated.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

just clean up the visible parts - put some rust reducer on the nuts for example

assuming they really ARE set correctly....

assuming the bushings really ARE ok...

assuming they really ARE...
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Doug, I thought we made you honorary Chairman of Team Gruppe Hug here on Rennlist? Busting each other's ***** is how we give props.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Doug, I thought we made you honorary Chairman of Team Gruppe Hug here on Rennlist? Busting each other's ***** is how we give props.
I'm debating pros and cons of posting an AGM battery conversion thread....for that very reason. Spent a couple hundred bucks on go-fast today after installing my new AFR sensor Saturday....and picking up some even fatter injectors from Gonzo last week. There is going to be Hell Toupee
Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

We'll just post a few Huge Manatee pics and all will be well then.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 AM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
which pads did you go with ?
Textar pads, Zimmerman discs.

Originally Posted by r911
yeah..

Originally Posted by rusnak
And then the corosion is like a ticking time bomb, the springplate looks crusty compared to the clean caliper. I mean look at it, it looks like the pictures in an old Clymer manual that were taken from disassembling some old junker in England.
It almost does, which wouldn't be strange seeing as it had been sitting stagnant outside, in New England, for 4+ years haha.

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Cam, the same group of guys broke my ***** over spring plates and hardware that was too clean, too freshly plated. I'm actually going to join in......dude, it's time to send it all off to plating.
Yeah, you get that anywhere, but it doesn't bother me. I have yet to even drive this car, and that's my main priority currently.. Making sure everything is sorted out and safe to start driving the damn thing, then begin to assess and replace items such as spring plates, plating fasteners etc. Funny thing, I was literally just telling my buddy how I want everything Plated one day. Aside from the piece of mind, I absolutely love the look of it.

-Cam
Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
09mageec
Racer

I also had a question, and was hoping for some insight...

When I go reinstall my front bearings/wheel hub assembly, what needs to be greased, and how much? I have heard various things that have been misleading... Obviously the bearings are getting repacked with grease, the races will get greased, but my real question here, is should I be coating the spindles at all?? I would think that you wouldn't want those to be coated too heavy, as the bearings should be spinning in the race, and not spinning on the spindle, right??
Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I always slide some grease up and down the spindle for corrosion protection. The races will get the grease from the bearings. I always put a glob inside the hub and I fill the cap about 3/4 full before it goes on. The only way to do it wrong is to leave them dry. If you put them in a sticky mess that is close to dripping you will be fine.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
I always slide some grease up and down the spindle for corrosion protection. The races will get the grease from the bearings. I always put a glob inside the hub and I fill the cap about 3/4 full before it goes on. The only way to do it wrong is to leave them dry. If you put them in a sticky mess that is close to dripping you will be fine.
Good stuff. Thanks, Gramps.

-Cam
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The higher the speed of the bearing, the less grease it can hold, up to a point. I forget now how much Porsche says to put in the bearing, but the point is you don't pack it all the way full. Don't overtighten the spindle nut. Just until you can't move the washer by prying against it, then back off around 10 degrees. Check the wheel for slight play.

Quick Reply: Front Hub Grease Seals