Looking at getting a '89 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
How do you plan to get it serviced?
Doesn't sound like Porsche is the car for you.
My car is 29-1/2 years old and still has not been back to a dealer for service. Confirmed this with VIN search at Walter's. In my 10-1/2 years of ownership it's not been to a shop a single time. Should I have spent my fun money elsewhere?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:18 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you plan to get it serviced?
Doesn't sound like Porsche is the car for you.

Hoping to educate myself enough to handle service. And I've been building up to a 911 all my life.........

Name:  Picture087.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  Picture027-1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Name:  EVO2-1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  762900457_qMSTi-M.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3082.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  152.4 KB
Old 07-11-2017, 03:24 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Name:  7270995128_8087c2575c_z.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  29.3 KB

I've been doing Solo2 and Targa Newfoundland (tarmac rally) for a few years now.

I think the time is right for my first Porsche.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

BRAVO!!!! Give 'em hell. I have to laugh in the face of the babies that think the 911 is hard to wrench on. They are so simple that monkeys can do it.....as demonstrated by my being able to do it.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined a 911 is easy to service.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Looks like Paul has fallen victim to the new Photobucket price structure. Glad I never used 'em.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

me neither . I just post directly, or use imgur if I have to.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:02 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
BRAVO!!!! Give 'em hell. I have to laugh in the face of the babies that think the 911 is hard to wrench on. They are so simple that monkeys can do it.....as demonstrated by my being able to do it.
Really, you were able to change your clutch by yourself?
You were also to do the top end rebuild at 80k by yourself?

The simple fact is that certain jobs need to be farmed out to professionals.
If they don't exist in your area, be prepared to sell the car once it needs more
than a simple brake job or hose replacement.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Opps sorry about losing the pictures......

Too bad I had a bunch saved on there.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

If they don't exist in your area, be prepared to sell the car once it needs more
2 points here
1. Yes I did both these jobs by myself including replacing broken head studs. I used a machine shop for some of the advanced work
2. Agreed some jobs you may want to farm out if you don't have the time or facilities, but the point is if you are mechanically inclined you can do a lot and it doesn't have to be a wallet draining experience
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps

Doug helped lower my car when my mechanic told me it was going to be a nightmare to lower it..Doug did first side in 2 hours second side in 1 hour lol..it seemed pretty forward and simple- if youre mechanically inclined and start with a good car you should be good
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Huh? I was Crew Chief on a '68 Hemi Dart drag car when I was a junior in high school. I was dealing with cam durations and push rod length changes when I was 17. Engine rebuilds are a cake walk for an average mechanic. Stop buying into the voodoo that auto mechanics are Gods and Porsches require advanced factory training. They were designed to be so simple that anyone that can work a puzzle can wrench on them. A clutch would be something I could do blindfolded. Seriously dude, step away from the hype.

You may have missed the thread where I modified my Bilstein struts. Without farming out anything other than the final welds, that I wanted to be done by a DOT certified welder, I did this job by myself with my own tools. I turned standard Bilsteins into almost full RSR spec struts. I raised the spindle 26mm and removed one degree of camber from the spindle. I also added spindle bracing and a second steering arm. Also .....OK, I did have a friend make the bump steer spacers on his lathe. Heim, top seal, arm, and bracing came from Rebel S. I'd already had the strut inserts revalved so sure, I farmed that out too. Bottom line is that if I can do the design work, mill and weld the jigs required and buy the tooling and research on the internet the best angle and height.....you may well find it best to step off my dick about a simple clutch or top end rebuild. The only reason I haven't done a top end is that I don't need to.

Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ Don't be too hard on people like Sugarwood (if he's serious) as some out there don't even know how to change a tire. Some of us are just lucky in having the naturally given skills to understand mechanics in general. I barely made it thru four yr. college prep. But after a two year stint at L.A. Trade Tech. I left on the honor roll. Now, just too old to care about crawling under a car anymore. Consider yourself very lucky to have the knowledge and (remaining?) physical ability to manage your Porsche!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
^^^^ Don't be too hard on people like Sugarwood (if he's serious) as some out there don't even know how to change a tire. Some of us are just lucky in having the naturally given skills to understand mechanics in general. I barely made it thru four yr. college prep. But after a two year stint at L.A. Trade Tech. I left on the honor roll. Now, just too old to care about crawling under a car anymore. Consider yourself very lucky to have the knowledge and (remaining?) physical ability to manage your Porsche!
I hear you. I have a natural ability (and confidence) most don't have. It is fueled by disability. I am on my 5th pacemaker and have a variety of other physical problems I deal with. I had to learn early in life that it is much easier to try and fail than to just not try. When I first got the car and replaced the fuel lines I was terrified.....then Peter Zimmermann walked me through it and I discovered just how simple the cars are. Now even painting my own ducktail was a snap.

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a '89 911