Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Restoration Shop Recommendations in SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017 | 02:10 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
acumoto's "albert" is for sale. you might check with machul ;-) its in your home town tom!

btw most ppl under estimate "restoration"
whatever u think will cost, take that number x2
time frame can be x3
they u will only be "little " shocked and disappointed.

that's a reason i have not restored anything and i am not shy about throwing wads of money out the window.
"Albert" is a beautiful hot rod. Accumoto builds were my inspiration for my long hood build. I am still planning on having them build me an E class car.

Agreed, Restoration is very under estimated by the consumer. It can almost always cost you twice or more than originally budgeted. And take upwards of 3 times as long.

The extra costs suck and the waiting can be hard.

If you are restoring car, you need to consider what the condition of the car is truely in and what it will be worth when completed.

I have restored too many of the "wrong" cars in my youth (rusty, non original, high production number, etc) to know what pissing money away is all about.

The only car I suggest restoring nowadays is something near 100% original with little rust. Would have to be desireable too.
(It would have to be "rare" to warrant a resto on a rusty body or an incomplete car.)

If you want a special hot rod, then open cheque book shouldnt bother you, nor resale.
If it is a family owned vehicle, then open cheque book shouldnt bother you.

In most cases it it cheaper to buy a good driver or a fully restored car.

Again, it has to be the right car.
Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2017 | 02:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

^
my computer is still spitting out upside down pictures for what ever reason??
Old 05-06-2017 | 02:29 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Originally Posted by needspeed
I started out thinking I'd do a strip to the tub restore that include rebuild of all mechanical subsystems. The pain on my car has been well maintained and I feel like a bit of a waste to strip and repaint to same color. So, now I'm planning on restoring the mechanical (motor, trans, suspension, steering, and ac), interior (seat, carpet, headliner, and b-pillar), some exterior touchup, and some electrical work. Still a long list, but most small parts won't have to come off the car.

I'm doing this to get the car configured the way I want it. Investing in my happiness.
I have had a lot of similar work done to mine. I have not tired every shop in the bay area but I got excellent work from:

Mechanical: Dave at Modderman Porsche Repair in Mountain View, (650) 967-3213

Interior: Byron at Finish Line Interiors in San Jose near the SJC airport, (408) 919-0000

Body Work: John at German Auto Body in Santa Clara, even closer to the SJC airport, (408) 727-3368

These shops are all busy and so don't expect instant or even on-schedule work but worth the wait.

Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2017 | 09:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

I initially thought it can't be worse than building a house, but more I go through this process, the worse it seems to get. Probably better to fix specific problems than a full restore.
i think that's the better move
i looked into "restore" then i decide no. mainly bc i have no patience. ZERO
i ended up buying a very clean car 86 at most ppl would choke price

THAT said, i have commissioned many builds before and the "experience" seeing you baby coming together can be satisfying. i did that on 3 cars. and that;s enough for me
Old 05-07-2017 | 09:38 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I started out thinking I'd do a strip to the tub restore that include rebuild of all mechanical subsystems. The pain on my car has been well maintained and I feel like a bit of a waste to strip and repaint to same color. So, now I'm planning on restoring the mechanical (motor, trans, suspension, steering, and ac), interior (seat, carpet, headliner, and b-pillar), some exterior touchup, and some electrical work. Still a long list, but most small parts won't have to come off the car.

I'm doing this to get the car configured the way I want it. Investing in my happiness.
Here's my 2 cents and it means nothing but I'm going to share anyways, most give up on finding restoration shop because they are scared of cost or lack trust (justified). It will cost a sh*t ton of money but that's the easy part....it's like hard work.......few get away with the skipping the hard work part and go to billionaire status instantly (other than mooty lol). Plan on on big payout and strip your car to bones and start fresh (I promise your car doesn't need just mechanical attention). It makes no sense to redo all mechanicals and not make sure your chassis is clean of any hidden rust. I've done it many times before and you'll kick yourself if you don't do a full restoration. You also don't need someone in san fran area...ship car if need be, it's a no brainer. I have cars all over country right now....one in AZ, another in oregon, and one in Florida. Regardless of area you must find someone or a couple that you can work with. Add much time to whatever a shop says and you'll be fine.....x 3 works for me historically. Good luck and god speed!

Last edited by sccchiii; 05-10-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2017 | 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i never did restoration but had hired help to build three cars. while the learning exp was great. i realized that i do not have the temperament for restoration. while waiting in the delivery room for my first child, i buought two cars IN THE DELIVERY ROOM. so restoration that takes longer than 10 days is not for me. and they are very $. thats the facts. but i wont discourage you from doing it. it's fun!

Quick Reply: Restoration Shop Recommendations in SF Bay Area