Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC/Carrera VALUES

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

yeah I stopped looking at excellence values years ago, they are not even close.

Cam your car doesn't even have the original engine , none of the parts left are original, Plus Rolstin touched it , .. ill give you 10K if you drop it off at my house

J/k

did you end up taking it to Hershey ? how's it running ?

Last edited by theiceman; 05-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:19 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...che-911sc-3-0/

No affiliation, just reporting in Also add 5% on top .
Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

Another value thread indeed. I didn't read through the whole thread but half of it. can't speak for others so I'll just talk about my experience.

A nice reliable driving SC can be bought in the low 30's. that's a lot of fun for the money & you get to own something that is iconic & will remain classic forever.

How much would I pay for a Grade A, low mileage, near perfect condition, rare color SC? I don't know. but if one that comes across that I have to have, I wouldn't mind paying top dollar for it. 80k, maybe. I just don't know. what I'm trying to say is everyone is so focus on the value/price now but yet forget a good example is very hard to come by. It seems like there's no problem to find a ''driver quality'' car now if someone just want to enjoy driving. however, there are also people just want to take it to the next step of ownership by owning something special to their argument. to that degree, it's more than just a car. it's about the ownership experience and that to me, is priceless.

I can't put a price tag on my 911 ownership experience. that's owning multiple of them at the same time including 911, 964, 993, 997 & 991. what I know is, I can have lots fun driving my ''beater quality'' SC Targa, that the paint isn't perfect, car is not running at its 100% potential, interior is somewhat a mess. but if one day I decide to fully restore it properly back to new everything, it will cost more than 50K. most likely way more than that depends how far I go. So, having said that, would anyone still think paying 80k for a somewhat virgin is crazy? maybe. just not me.

Figure out what you want & stick to your plan. Speaking from my limited experience, they all need work. So buy wisely. Buy something that truly speaks to you. Not price driven. Because at the end of day you get to own something that you love & don't mind spending money or losing money in it.

If someone here is reading this thinking you have something unique, low miles, great condition car that you want to sell please contact me. I'm not crazy but I'm willing to pay accordingly. If the right car is the right one, it is priceless.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 PM
RennPartsDirect
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

From my personal experience trying to sell my '83 I am finding that it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Period. Regardless of what you think its worth, how much you've invested into it, or what others similar in age, condition, and mileage have sold for recently across the many platforms used, it just doesn't matter. It has to be a perfect storm- the right buyer(s), the right car, at the right time. If you get two buyers that are hot for the same car at auction they bid against each other artificially raising the price because they both really want the car regardless of the final hammer price. If you put an identical car up for auction the next day I guarantee it will not reach the same price as the one that sold the day before because that intense competition is gone now that one of the buyers bought the car the day before or the same bidders are just not in the room anymore...
Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UNEEKONE
From my personal experience trying to sell my '83 I am finding that it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Period. Regardless of what you think its worth, how much you've invested into it, or what others similar in age, condition, and mileage have sold for recently across the many platforms used, it just doesn't matter. It has to be a perfect storm- the right buyer(s), the right car, at the right time. If you get two buyers that are hot for the same car at auction they bid against each other artificially raising the price because they both really want the car regardless of the final hammer price. If you put an identical car up for auction the next day I guarantee it will not reach the same price as the one that sold the day before because that intense competition is gone now that one of the buyers bought the car the day before or the same bidders are just not in the room anymore...
Yes, I do think thats true, but I definitely believe that these cars are still undervalued. I am speaking about excellent examples with desirable options or lack there of. Finding one of these at less than $60K is a bargain, to me. All the things you mentioned about the right buyer at the right time is correct, but holding out for that right buyer is also very important. These cars are nothing short of amazing and they should go to those that completely appreciate them and their price. I would of paid much more for my 78 than what I did, and I still was told I over paid. As a buyer, my list was not so easy to check off. I wanted an early SC with low miles and next to no options (DEF NO SUNROOF) and it had to be silver or black. For that I was willing to pay up to $70K. Sure that sounds high, but after looking around at the market for over a year, I saw what typically was available and those did not meet my requirements. It would take much more than $70K to get me to sell anyway. I really don't know what figure it would take for me to let her go. Whatever that number is, the first thing I would do is to find an identical replacement. Maybe $100K? Maybe

Sher-

Sher-
Old 11-28-2017, 05:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

When you consider that todays new cars spec'd out to any level of fun as these older cars offer will set you back close to if not over 6 figures why put a limit on the value of fun these cars offer?

When buying I never said this car was too much $$ if it was the right car I paid what it took to buy it not a penny more and I haven't looked back since. At the time it was all the money but look at the values today I guess it wasn't all the money after all. If you can buy a nice example for $90k what would it take to bring a rat up to the same level? How much is it worth after you spent that much compared to the nice example people say costs too much?

Just sayin.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my neck of the woods, So Cal, the real price vs what one sees in a guide like Excellence is not even close most of the time. I would say Hagerty is way off with some models as well.

My car is a classic example. '74 middie for the longest time were languishing and maligned. Guide prices still reflect this, but things have changed and these guides are not in touch with what's really going on out there with cars like mine.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Check out the auctions on BAT.

88 Black Carrera Coupe with about 70,000 miles on it sold for $50K plus the auction fee

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-8/

1980 SC for $30K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-10/

Some more

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/impact-bumper-911/
Old 11-28-2017, 08:09 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-PA...771?rmvSB=true
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 AM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
When you consider that todays new cars spec'd out to any level of fun as these older cars offer will set you back close to if not over 6 figures why put a limit on the value of fun these cars offer?

When buying I never said this car was too much $$ if it was the right car I paid what it took to buy it not a penny more and I haven't looked back since. At the time it was all the money but look at the values today I guess it wasn't all the money after all. If you can buy a nice example for $90k what would it take to bring a rat up to the same level? How much is it worth after you spent that much compared to the nice example people say costs too much?

Just sayin.
Well said and exactly my point. It’s about the car and the experience driving it often. It’s not about selling for a profit, because then what?

Sher
Old 11-29-2017, 02:43 AM
iFox
Instructor

Dang, I think he paid way more for it

ehh sure there are many examples of cheaper cars. I saw and drove many and well, they left a lot to be desired. Finding a gem is much harder than it looks.

Sher
Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 AM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Check out the auctions on BAT.

88 Black Carrera Coupe with about 70,000 miles on it sold for $50K plus the auction fee

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-8/

1980 SC for $30K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-10/

Some more

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/impact-bumper-911/
Again, you need to drive them and get a thorough ppi... good ones are hard and getting harder to find

Sher

Last edited by iFox; 11-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-PA...771?rmvSB=true

I'm open to offers
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Few hours to go on this one.....https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-22/
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

Head studs will rear their ugly head(s) sooner than later.

Quick Reply: SC/Carrera VALUES