Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC/Carrera VALUES

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC/Carrera VALUES

I have read several articles lately that talk about a stalled or decrease in value in early model Porsche 911's and Ferraris. Having driven many early model 911's, as well as later models, I do believe that the 3.0-3.2 911 to be in that super sweet spot. These models have all that "classic" appeal with just enough modern comforts to make them very useable on a daily basis. I don't now enough about the midyear cars to include/exclude, but I do know that I am so surprised by how easy it is to drive my 78 SC coupe daily from Chicago to work (18 miles away) and how much I enjoy doing it.

Is it that those who appreciate and can buy these cars have simply got what they wanted and now the market is stalled? Or is it that those early cars lack the minimum for real life use? Maybe its more a function of ability and consumer tastes. If the manual transmission is dying, then that can't help demand for these beauties. Whatever the reason is, while having a car that appreciates is quite a perk, I love my SC so much that if it decreased in value it wouldn't matter to me.

Sher-
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The really good cars are gone. We're now down to #3 and #4 cars being hawked as investments. The market isn't stupid. The market has decided to pass on mediocre used cars.

Auctions have become giant used car lots. They're trying to pawn off cars that were previously listed on Craigslist.

The market will settle and in about 10 years we'll see another rise in prices. I don't look for any decline. At least not on the #1 cars.

Richard Newton
Restoration is Destruction
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This 87 cab just sold on BaT for 60k: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...a-cabriolet-4/

By "early cars" I assume you mean the longhoods? I don't follow that market closely but it wouldn't surprise me if interest is starting to wane. Interest in particular models or marques come and go, and values rise and fall accordingly. Values in any aircooled cars are not likely to drop back significantly, but certainly we may be entering a cooling off period. Then again, car buying season is upon us once again and values peak during the warm months.

#1 and #2 cars are still being sold, just not as briskly as they were 12-24 months ago. Values are holding for that tier of the market.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Peak for P-Cars was 2015 but what a run it was. 993's and 964's trying to be sold in the 50's and 60's have been sitting on the market for a long time. One can't sell a 996 for the life of them. I still think a 3.2 in the high 30's is a rockin' deal (sub 80k miler). Stalled market but we all got in early right? The best thing to do is drive the **** out of your P-Cars and sell them at the price you paid for it in 3-10 years!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From talk among Porsche folks at cars and coffees, etc., seems many are holding onto their cars, especially the aircooled cars, regardless of early, mid, 964, or 993, unless they are trying to cash in on the appreciation.

Agree on the SC and 84-86 range (Coupes) being great values, but Id be prepared to pay up for well maintained ones even with higher miles.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my aircooled 911s long before these forums existed, and will have them long after all the forums are gone. Who cares about the value.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 73911
The really good cars are gone. We're now down to #3 and #4 cars being hawked as investments. The market isn't stupid. The market has decided to pass on mediocre used cars.

Richard Newton
Restoration is Destruction
What he said.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

^ yup
Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73911

Auctions have become giant used car lots. They're trying to pawn off cars that were previously listed on Craigslist.

The market will settle and in about 10 years we'll see another rise in prices. I don't look for any decline. At least not on the #1 cars.

Richard Newton
[COLLAR="Navy"]Restoration is Destruction[/COLOR]
Your take is an interesting one....but one that more or less precludes really using the car after purchase. If a guy buys an investment grade car he usually doesn't use it at all. I for one, wouldn't pay $120k for a low mileage 993S just to polish and admire it in my garage....but I likely wouldn't pay that amount for that same car and drive it 10k miles per year either. Some of us want to really drive these cars and for those people, what is a nice "driver" worth vs a museum piece? 2/3, 1/2, 1/4....1/10 of that "museum piece"? Some might argue more than that! For me who likes to drive these cars....and doesn't mind the normal patina that accumulates with enjoying them, that owning a low mileage time capsule has limited appeal. It might be guys like me that are propping up the values on these 3 and 4s...LOL!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

SC/Carrera's were built to drive not sit in someones garage under a cover, really good cars that can be driven a lot w/o problems- you are not going to get rich letting one sit in your garage- drive the damn thing!

Phil
Old 04-23-2017, 01:02 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Some sellers "sell the dream". Don't buy into that BS. A "4" makes a good track or back date project.

I'd rather have a dream than a nightmare. You should pay for condition and/or lower mileage. They're out here but they don't go cheap. Expect to pony up for a nice one.

It is still the best policy to find a car that doesn't need a lot of work.
First and foremost, SC's and Carreras can and do break head studs. By now most SC's have had a top end and this Achilles Heel was cared for but that doesn't mean every Carrera has. They are otherwise relatively bullet proof and can be worked on by their owners. Mechanical aptitude is a plus.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Default I buy them to drive them ....

Every chance I get ....
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars make an interesting collectible. They are often compared to paintings.

They should really be compared to collectible wines. Vintage wines have value. The problem is that wines are for drinking. If you actually use the wine as it was intended then eventually you have no wine.

Leaving the wine in the bottle won't protect it. Leaving your Porsche under a car cover won't protect it either.

An interesting situation.

Richard Newton
Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

I was chatting with a guy in Hershey who was selling his Carrera for 80K. It was a nice car, but 80K nice ? I'm not so sure.

The 40K CAD for the nice SC here is where the market is I think
Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 AM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80K? guy is out of his mind........

Quick Reply: SC/Carrera VALUES