Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project 1971 non-original S

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Ad0911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Project 1971 non-original S

I have a 1971 "S" version coupe but the car has received a new nose including chassis number. The chassis number is a "T" targa version. This was done by experts. I bought it a long time ago as a running car but is a bare body without paint now. All the welded joints are clearly visible. I took some measures on the chassis. It is straight as an arrow. All dimension within spec. Point is, I don't know what to do with it. The car is my dreamcar but the non original chassis number makes it totally worthless. And this is what bothers me. Compared to many restoration projects my car has 90% of the bodyparts as it came from the factory and 10% original parts put on later (sills etc). Other projects are 10% as it came from the factory and 90% new panels.
There is no point in trying to make it original so it can be a project car. Make it my personal 911. But I need some inspiration. I don't want the fancy trim parts and I don't want to make another Carrera RS lookalike. Any good ideas? Pictures that can give me the inspiration I need?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the kind of question you ask the early S guys

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/forum.php

I'd just build it with the parts on hand first and let if evolve from there. Maybe do some RS flares, but you really don't even need to do that to have a fun car. Remember that less is more.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Does the car have its original engine and transmission?

Does the car have the the wrong aluminum tag or wrong trunk VIN?

If you are missing the original engine and transmission then nobody cares. Build a hot rod.
If you have the wrong VIN in the trunk of the car then you can cut it out and install new metal and restamp correct VIN as rust repair.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Ad0911
Rennlist Member

In Europe there is no alumium VIN tag. My 928 also does not have that. The 911 has the "T" Targa VIN number in the trunk. It also has the reinforcements in the foot well left and right corner where the tubes are for warm air. It also has the reinforcements in the sills. Targa has an extra sill plate behind the warm air tube, that is not there in the coupe if I read the drawings correctly.
Seems like floor and nose were one half ("T" targa) and rear and roof were the other half ("S" coupe).
No way to tell if the gearbox belongs to the "S". Engine is 1969 2L "E". So it really is a Frankenstein as explained by the man with the long beard once when I asked him his opinion. I am strugling with this for years now without knowing if I should proceed. Akready did a lot if work until I got refused to enter the classic 911 912 club due to lack of originality.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ad0911
In Europe there is no alumium VIN tag. My 928 also does not have that. The 911 has the "T" Targa VIN number in the trunk. It also has the reinforcements in the foot well left and right corner where the tubes are for warm air. It also has the reinforcements in the sills. Targa has an extra sill plate behind the warm air tube, that is not there in the coupe if I read the drawings correctly.
Seems like floor and nose were one half ("T" targa) and rear and roof were the other half ("S" coupe).
No way to tell if the gearbox belongs to the "S". Engine is 1969 2L "E". So it really is a Frankenstein as explained by the man with the long beard once when I asked him his opinion. I am strugling with this for years now without knowing if I should proceed. Akready did a lot if work until I got refused to enter the classic 911 912 club due to lack of originality.
The car must have been in an accident and the engine removed and sold.

Somebody must have repaired the nose using a targa front clip and didnt bother to retain the VIN of the S. The fact that they kept the VIN from the targa is kinda wrong.

FIrst I would replace the targa VIN with the correct S VIN in the trunk. Have it stamped etc.

I would make the car a Hot Rod.
Use your engine and transmission. (have the motor built with nice cams, pistons, Dansk exhaust etc)
Use your Deep 6 Fuchs (if you still have them)
Feel free to make the hood a center fill gas cap since it is most likely the wrong hood.

Do you still have the sport seats? If not, look for a pair of period correct buckets.

Paint the car the original color if you can. Original is the new "different".
Otherwise you can paint it what ever color you dream.

The nice thing about your car is that you can do wht ever you want to it without hurting the value.
Keep hunting for the original engine number while you own the car.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Not legal to stamp your own vin. The car has a story. You tell the story accurately. Restamping the front clip is a lie.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Not legal to stamp your own vin. The car has a story. You tell the story accurately. Restamping the front clip is a lie.
The targa VIN should be removed as it conflicts with the title.
A restamp on a replacement panel is questionable, so perhaps leave it blank.

Car is either accident repair or rust repair.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:59 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The targa VIN should be removed as it conflicts with the title.
A restamp on a replacement panel is questionable, so perhaps leave it blank.

Car is either accident repair or rust repair.
He's saying the rivet tag is gone but the stamped chassis number next to the gas tank remains. Impossible to remove that stamping without evidence of alteration. I'd leave it clean and obvious versus trying to obscure the history. No story in the world would get most people willing to be a home stamped car. Clipped cars are all over the place. It's a valid story and a car like this will never be an S. It's 40% S at must, regardless of the vin on the title.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
He's saying the rivet tag is gone but the stamped chassis number next to the gas tank remains. Impossible to remove that stamping without evidence of alteration. I'd leave it clean and obvious versus trying to obscure the history. No story in the world would get most people willing to be a home stamped car. Clipped cars are all over the place. It's a valid story and a car like this will never be an S. It's 40% S at must, regardless of the vin on the title.
If it is a conficting number with the title and VIN id cut it out, fill it and leave it blank.

mulitple serial numbers cannot be a good thing on a car.....

It is a clipped car, but it shouldnt bare another car's serial number next to the gas tank.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Ad0911
Rennlist Member

The funny thing is, the car was inspected after the damage repair by the dutch RDW (Rijksdienst voor het wegverkeer) freely translated it is the Goverment Department for Transport back in I guess 1983. It got its aproval without problems. In your terms: the car has a new title but kept its year of manufacture (1971). I drove the car in 1986 to the Porsche importer for inspection. I got a list about things to fix to make it safe for the road. Nothing much, basically new sills and some small stuff I don't remember. I started doing this and a lot more. I even did the infamous "hinterachsequerrohr" using the repair instuction in the WSM. To do all this I built a steel frame 4 x 2" with uprights to the car body, on wheels to support the car and enable me to cut vital parts out and work safely and comfortably.
Meanwhile my application for the classic 911 912 club got refused because of the wrong VIN number so I quit the project.
After so many years, the market has changed a lot. I see total basket cases being "restored" (build new from scratch) so I thought perhaps I can build my car anyway.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ad0911
The funny thing is, the car was inspected after the damage repair by the dutch RDW (Rijksdienst voor het wegverkeer) freely translated it is the Goverment Department for Transport back in I guess 1983. It got its aproval without problems. In your terms: the car has a new title but kept its year of manufacture (1971). I drove the car in 1986 to the Porsche importer for inspection. I got a list about things to fix to make it safe for the road. Nothing much, basically new sills and some small stuff I don't remember. I started doing this and a lot more. I even did the infamous "hinterachsequerrohr" using the repair instuction in the WSM. To do all this I built a steel frame 4 x 2" with uprights to the car body, on wheels to support the car and enable me to cut vital parts out and work safely and comfortably.
Meanwhile my application for the classic 911 912 club got refused because of the wrong VIN number so I quit the project.
After so many years, the market has changed a lot. I see total basket cases being "restored" (build new from scratch) so I thought perhaps I can build my car anyway.
If you have the correct VIN to match the title on the windsheild post, then you should be able to claim the car as a 1971S with non matching engine and accident repair. You just need to remove the targa VIN from the trunk.

Is the car clean title, or accident repair/salvage/rebuilt?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

check into Dutch law on VINs and contact the factory to see what you can do
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapping VIN numbers in the US is a criminal offense.It's considered a felony. That means 5 to 10, Keep that in mind.

Then again you. might meet some interesting people while you await trail. Or, you really like those orange jumpsuits.

Richard Newton
More Useless Tech Stuff
Old 04-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Ad0911
Rennlist Member

As mentioned before, the officials don't have a problem with the car with this VIN. Only purists start nagging whe the subject is raised.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

isnt there a proper VIN on the windsheild pillar?

Quick Reply: Project 1971 non-original S