Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tarett drop links

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Paul (Weissach 911)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tarett drop links

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these adjustable drop links for stock sway bars? I don't have the $1200 for the all out hollow adjustable sway bars & thought this might get me the preload adjustment I'm looking for in the mean time.
http://www.tarett.com/911_front_drop_link.htm
http://www.tarett.com/911_rear_drop_link.htm
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2003, 10:58 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience with these drop links, but it looks like it should provide the fine adjustments you need for corner balancing. You can always upgrade incrementally by using a larger factory sway bar or stiffer sway bar bushings for more "effect."

I see they use the same mount location as the Weltmeister sway bars (replace one of the spring plate eccentrics). However, the attachment point is different in that they use a through-bolt, and it's much larger. The WM's replacement eccentric mounts the drop link with a relatively puny 5/16" OD socket head bolt and a same size rod bearing. By the looks of the Tarett drop link rod bearing, the through-bolt looks to be a more hefty 3/8" or equivalent metric size which offers many more choices for high strength bolt materials.

My $.02
Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 11-14-2003, 12:21 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sherwood,

I would add that the quality of the adapter eccentrics provided by Weltmeister are not top notch. The bars do seem ok though.

When I installed my Weltmeister sway bars, one of the eccentrics stripped it's threads when I was installing. Since I wanted to use the bars that weekend, and could not wait for a new part (it was Thurday when this happened), I brought it to my machnist to have him turn the stud down so I could use it that weekend but he hit a very hard piece of metal and destroyed the eccentric. He thinks it was a piece of a ball bearing that was mixed in the pot metal used to cast the part. The good news is that he turned one for me from high quality steel stock.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry,
The material mix of the WM eccentric as you describe it is unusual. I thought it was made of regular steel hex stock with the eccentric formed on a lathe. At any rate, the WM socket head bolt size is borderline, but they use it because it's the strongest version of a threaded fastener in that size (typically 180,000 psi)..... or maybe for cost considerations. You're right. The quality of the rod ends is on the low end as well.

I think many WM users could use something like the Tarett eccentric to use a larger rod bearing and drop link bolt.

Sherwood

Quick Reply: Tarett drop links