PPI in Tacoma Wash area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:16 PM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI in Tacoma Wash area?

Man,
I'm getting sick of junkers listed as pristine, only to find out the PPI is sh*t. I am currently persuing a car in the Tacoma area. Any shops nearby?

Help
Tim
Old 11-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Paul (Weissach 911)
Advanced

I live in T-town & don't know of any decent Porsche mechanics. If I needed one I would go to John Walkers Workshop (206) 789-6800 in Seatttle, I've also heard that Squire's Autowerke (425) 641-3212 in Bellevue does excellent work.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:15 PM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Thanks Paul,
I'll give em a call.

Tim
Old 11-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: PPI in Tacoma Wash area?

Originally posted by tdatk944+S4
Man,
I'm getting sick of junkers listed as pristine, only to find out the PPI is sh*t. I am currently persuing a car in the Tacoma area. Any shops nearby?

Help
Tim
I second the Squire's referral and in fact just recently purchased a very well cared for albeit poorly documented 87 Coupe just two months ago. I within 24 hours had it to Squire's for a major service to establish a new baseline. While records are always nice, there is also something to be said for the true elation that comes from seeing a potential car for the first time and realizing immediately that it's an obviously well cared for example. No substitue for the PPI of course so you are doing the right thing by checking around for a good shop. Although no direct exp., I've heard only excellent things about John Walker's Workshop too.

The car drove really well, pulled strong and with the exception of an APE chip and a few minor door scufs, is all original. An alert Rennlister commented that one of the photos I posted showed that someone installed a non OEM oil filter. Squire noticed this as well but actually told me it's a shame to spend the $$ for a major service when it isn't truly necessary (he confirmed the car was in excellent shape and drove really well). I was very impressed that I had to talk him into looking a little deeper at which point he popped off the distributor and showed it to me. It was clearly time for service.

Squire's dialed the car right in and also installed a wicked cool suede Sparco which I purchased from a very helpful guy at Speedware Motorsports in Redmond (cool showroom). Needless to say I'm absolutely smitten with this 115K mile 87 coupe. It's my daily driver and I (insert expletive)'ing love it. In fact my wife is already annoyed that I insist on taking my car in lieu of her 2002 Mercedes because compared to my 2001 996 (now sold).....there is no comparison, period. What was I thinking when I chose to buy a 996 as my first Porsche???? Not a cheap lesson either folks....geeze. Simple equation really. One car has soul (best feature, direct steering and the G/50...easily...ok that's two). And the other does not. I don't miss the 996 but instead the 993 C2S I never owned.

When the 997 (suposed next car) is released I'm simply going to mail Porsche full MSRP and ask instead that they send a concours Werks1 restored 1998 C4S, Slate Grey on full ++ Supple Natural Grey Leather and a veritable laundry list of the most succulent exclusive options. For those of you who might cry "why not 993TT or TT S??" a normally aspirated 993 in this town other than the infrequent opportunity to dish out "on-ramp justice", is going to deliver a better overall driving:joy ratio overall (IMO).

I will find out when I buy a 993 next.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2003, 03:21 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

whoops...meant to post that in the "do it all over again thread".......made my point though
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Thanks all.
I called both John Walkers and Squires. John was too busy but Squires had time. I also found another by recomendation from John, Gerber Motorsports 206-352-6911 Spoke to Mark and he was VERY helpful. Plug intended. All wanted $250. and that included a leakdown. Bit high but great insurance. I'll bite.

Tim

Quick Reply: PPI in Tacoma Wash area?