Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil spots

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:08 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil spots

My 78 SC has oil spots in its parking space. When we had it on the lift(ppi) it looked dry, but now it's leaving spots on its space. Is this common?

Sher
Old 04-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Disappointing if the engine was recently apart, it should be pretty tightly sealed. But it is very common for the older cars.

Lots of possible culprits. Oil return tubes (those metal tubes visible above the heat exchangers, running from the heads to the engine case, or what is known as "the triangle of death" on the top rear of the engine. Hard to access with the fuel injection in place, back there is the crankcase breather, the oil pressure switch, and the engine oil thermostat. All are prone to leaking, and the oil runs down from above and drips from odd places. Hard to pin down that source.

Here is a photo that I borrowed from a Pelican thread on the issue:

But all of those should be newly sealed, so I would hope there is no leakage from there.

Can you get underneath and post some photos?

Mark
Old 04-01-2017, 01:47 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one would think/hope that the OE magnesium valve covers were updated with the later turbo's and received proper gaskets considering it was recently dropped.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:11 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default Pics

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Disappointing if the engine was recentlart, it should be pretty tightly sealed. But it is very common for the older cars.

What do you think

Here are the pics. Last ones are where I could see wetness
Lots of possible culprits. Oil return tubes (those metal tubes visible above the heat exchangers, running from the heads to the engine case, or what is known as "the triangle of death" on the top rear of the engine. Hard to access with the fuel injection in place, back there is the crankcase breather, the oil pressure switch, and the engine oil thermostat. All are prone to leaking, and the oil runs down from above and drips from odd places. Hard to pin down that source.

What do you think

But all of those should be newly sealed, so I would hope there is no leakage from there.

Yes. Last ones are where I see wetness

Here they are

Mark
Keeps saying message to short
Old 04-01-2017, 03:15 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Disappointing if the engine was recently apart, it should be pretty tightly sealed. But it is very common for the older cars.

Mark
Pics here
Attached Images        
Old 04-01-2017, 03:27 PM
iFox
Instructor

The last pics is where it looks wet
Old 04-01-2017, 03:29 PM
bv shady
Racer

CV Joint gasket maybe bad. You sure its oil and not transmission fluid?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:32 PM
iFox
Instructor

I am not. But after looking underneath it def could be. Is that a big job to fix?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:43 PM
bv shady
Racer

Gasket/drive axle seals on both sides, Swepco, bolts @$350 with labor.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

If it's gear oil, it will have a strong odor. Much different than motor oil.

It seems to be coming from above. On your last photo, the transmission side cover looks oily on the side facing the engine.

If it's gear oil, maybe the side cover is leaking. That would be fairly easy to fix, unless the cover is warped. Take off the CV joint, drain the gearbox, take off the side cover, replace the o-ring, add new gear oil (Kendall non-synthetic 80W-90 or Swepco 201).

Engine oil coming from up there could be one of the three points in the triangle. Could be something easy, like the hose clamp on the breather hose wasn't tightened enough.

You'll need to let us know if you think it's gear oil or motor oil. My bet is motor oil.

Mark
Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Don't forget those pesky rocker shafts
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default UPDATE

OK so I brought the car (78' SC) into Eurosport in Bensenville. I needed the wiper fluid motor changed, warm start issue and to look into the oil leak. I dealt with Roy and Tony. Both are good guys and straight shooters. The car has a rear main leak that is not urgent at the time, but I was told to maybe fix it at end of season. I am getting a new fuel accumulator installed too. The opinion is that it IS in fact a very nice car. My last car was a 14 Cayman and just the front brakes cost me $1700 so even with the future rear main at approx $1500, it still seems cheap compared to owning a later model. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what happened. I already can't wait to get her back.

Sher-
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha! I think that pic was one that I made and posted on Pelican.

"Triangle of Death" term coined by Draco. Protocol is to clean the motor as well as possible and start looking for fresh leaks. The nose bearing leak is a bizzotch to fix.

You have carbon/ carbon brakes or what?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Clay.0
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's just the 911's way of marking it's territory
Old 04-13-2017, 12:01 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clay.0
That's just the 911's way of marking it's territory
Thats a great way of looking at it. I was in my dad's late model mercedes, let me just say that I can't wait to get my car back! I drive past a supercar dealer every day, I see Bugatti's, Ferarris, Lambos and the occasional 911R and well newer cars won't do it for me anymore. I am ruined

Sher-

Quick Reply: Oil spots