Schmitt Daniel 78 911SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Schmitt Daniel 78 911SC

Hi Again,

As a write this I am traveling to st louis to pick up the car.. the car is being bought from ScmITT DANIEL... I AM JUST NOW READING THE REVIEWS ONT HIS SITE AND AM SCARED. I had checked the google reviews and BBB and all came up pretty positive. I saw the car last week and drove it.. before that I had even almost purchased it from the previous owner in Tennessee. I couldn't do it at the time because of time left on my lease. It wouldn't of mattered anyway because the seller (Steve) took it off the market. I asked why and he said he wanted to hold on to it. That was last summer. A couple weeks ago I see it back up for sale and I asked Steve what the deal was.. he said he decided to sell it and his whole porsche collection. Before I could make a decision it was sold! I was sad I hadn't pulled the trigger.... then a week later I see it for sale on Ebay through Scmitt. Thats when I drove over from Chicago to see and drive it... I had already spoken to the mechanic who Steve used for the work. Now I am 3 hours out from the dealership.. they only have a $1000 deposit.

Thoughts?

X-
iFox is online now Report Post
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I hope you get a PPI on this car BEFORE you commit to buy it.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default PPI

Hoping to get it done at REIDVAN today.

X-
Old 03-30-2017, 12:52 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default PPI REID VANN

Thanks for the advice... I have contacted my sales man at Schmitt Daniel... his name is Jon and he has been very helpful thus far... I should of done more homework and gotten the PPI earlier but the car does seem quite amazing... I have driven several classics and this one does seem to be all that. I am no mechanic though. I had spoken to the previous owner and that is also going in favor of the car being great. I know some negative things have been said about Schmitt... but I believe you can find the same on just about any dealer. There are also always two sides to every story and you can multiply the negatives if the buyer is buying without seeing/driving the car. This has been a learning experience and as of now I am awaiting the PPI... I will keep you all posted... if my guts are correct then the car should check out fine and I will be a very happy customer! Wish me luck!

Sher-
Chicago
Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 PM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just looked at the car on their site...

... and while it strikes me as a little pricey, the low-miles is a big plus.

I also agree with you that your earlier experience with the prior owner suggests a quality car. And most every dealer has their detractors.

Good luck, sir!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
iFox
Instructor

Thanks for that. It's a scary thing..the internet... but I do have a good gut feeling. Let's see what the ppi turns up. Jon at Schmitt seemed very straight forward and his opinions on the car matched mine. If this deal turns out well I well be posting everywhere about how well it went. Hate to see businesses get hurt by bad / inaccurate reviews.

Sher
Chicago
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I've bought bad cars from good dealers and good cars from bad dealers.

In each case, you've just got to be diligent and as unemotional as the situation will allow.

Going in with your eyes very open, and with a decent amount of trepidation is probably healthier to a happier outcome. Best to you,
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the money they are asking it should be in concours condition. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...che-911-SC_3.0
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I hope you get a PPI on this car BEFORE you commit to buy it.
I bought a 1975 911S from Schmitt.
He is one of the worst- anything he can make a dime on he does.
He will not back up the car once sold to you.
The one i bought had an ignition problem and he wanted nothing to do with it once he had my money.
It is rumored he has assistance who help him screw his pants on in the morning.

That said, if you know the prior owner and history that is a good thing.
And if you go to Reid Vann have Tom do the PPI- he is excellent and the most knowledgeable and experienced guy at R-V.
There is also an excellent Porsche dealer now in STL, Porsche St.Louis that like the old cars. Rob Sights is the mechanic who works on the air cooled cars.
Talk to Jeff Copeland @ Porsche St. Louis 314.312.1900

Just because Daniel Schmitt has a terrible reputation for ripping people off does not mean this is a bad car.
Good luck
Nic
Old 03-30-2017, 07:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

I must have missed the pics,
Old 03-31-2017, 08:51 AM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Looks like they yanked the listing from their website yesterday.

The car was a silver '78.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Sixty grand for an SC coupe? <<< ???

Pass
Old 03-31-2017, 12:53 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default home

OK... So here is how it all went down. On my way into St Louis, I arranged to have the car brought to Reid Vann. Daniel Schmitt sent a car to pick me up and I was dropped off at ReidVann. My car was already in back when I got there and eventually Reid Vann himself, came and got me. First let me just say that he is an extremely nice man. Very knowledgeable to say the least. The first thing he says to me is "I have to say that this is one of the nicest SC's I have seen in a while".. that made me beyond happy. He talked to me about the car and showed me how the underside had the original coating and how great a condition the car is. He did say that it was resprayed at some point but the job was exceptional and probably very expensive. There were no signs of any damage and or fillers. Everything checked out except that the records and previous owner state that the tensioners were addressed. Records show head studs, timing chain, chain tensioner and tuning. Engine out service. The thing is though that Reid showed me no signs of the upgraded tensioners being installed. He could not see the tell tale lines going in. He could see that the engine was opened though.He wondered if tensioners were replaced with same style? He said the car shifts like new. The other thing was that the wiper washer fluid motor was not functioning. THATS IT.

Daniel Schmitt came with a flat bed and picked me and car up and back to the dealer we went. There I closed the deal and got the following: A folder with a certificate from Porsche, the tools for the car in a porsche wrap, the original manual in porsche cover, a binder with receipts that show the following work done:

tensioners
engine head studs
seals
rdr engine and something replace
rebuild something
fix e brakes, test and cleans pedometer, replace shifter U joint
R and R engine and transmission

I drove it home and it took almost 5 hours but I bonded with the car. It drove so nice and solid. I stopped twice along the way.. once to ear and another for water and snack. Both times the car started up right away. When I got home I took the hose to it and washed it off. Then I parked it. Shortly after I had to look at it again... I say it was like 10-15min later and it took longer to start. This morning it fired right up. Not sure if washing it got water where it should not have gone or if I flooded it somehow last night?

I love the car. Reid told me to lower the car and then get it aligned and I am also thinking of doing the H4 headlights.

All in all it was a great experience. Maybe its all about doing your homework and being honest with yourself about what you are buying. I found John at Schmitt to be great. I also dealt with Andreea and she was excellent. I would recommend Schmitt to others but with the understanding that you must see and drive the car AND get a PPI, but that applies to every used car. I paid $52K for it. It looks like new inside and everything works (except the wiper fluid motor) The body is straight and the paint looks amazing. I am happy.

X-
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default Tint and H4's?

Also got another couple questions....

What are the thoughts about window tinting on a 911SC?
Not limo.. just like the light one.?

About the H4's ... is there a preferred vendor and make for such? Is Bosche the way to go? If so where to go for them? What about the relays? I hear they should be added but im not sure.

Thank you!

Sher-
Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on the car and the experience. Far as your other questions, I'll say it as others are surely thinking it: just use the search function since these and many more questions you're going to have are dealt with (usually) and documented.

On one, I'll respond: I got my H4s from Vertex, and had a couple problems yet they resolved them. Others may chime in about Daniel Sturn lighting. Regardless, paying deference to the title of this thread:

Good for you that it worked out! Enjoy the car, and post pics!

Quick Reply: Schmitt Daniel 78 911SC