Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

walk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

make the motor safe for 8,000 - use Ti valve retainers

- we can keep this up for quite a while you know...
Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrimer

I am wondering when my fun factor kicks in. I know it can be there, but I am so used to the newer versions (996 twin turbo x50, 944 turbo S, 996 cab, two Boxster, etc). I feel like when i drive this car something is going to happen. i am not really used to the air cooled technology and a 220 HP motor (or whatever the output is). I am not used to having a drip of oil show up here and there and not used to noises a 30 year car makes. Although my 944 turbo S was old, it was water-cooled and was a much beefier car to drive. felt more stable with its huge tires on the back, etc.

I know no one can answer this question for me...but did I buy the right car? Am i really going to start enjoying this car? I love it, don't get me wrong. It is the absolute quintessential 1980's Porsche. But I just haven't "fallen in love" with it yet. Maybe I need to trust the older technology and get out and drive the damn thing?!
The fun factor is based on how much money you have and how many members you listen to on this board for advice.

Your car will drip a little oil and also smell a little oil which is part of its personality.
These cars are known to run forever and do not have all the "nannys" to save your behind if you exceed the laws of physics. They are "driver cars" and meant to be enjoyed. I went in the opposite direction from air to water cooled. Newer is better but there is nothing like air cooled for the original Porsche experience.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

These cars are great for the era. They are slow. But not really slow and get make their power up top. The 964 are a lot faster but feel a lot more modern due to the suspension design. Part of the charm is these don't feel like the new cars.

Do this, not a lot of $ and will seriously wake up the car, 100% reversible. These are the only mods my car has:
Turbo tie rods
Bilstein sport shocks
A proper alignment
Chip (I use Wong)
Cat delete and sport muffler

Trust me!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all about personality. You don't get into a 1980 vintage car and expect 2017 performance and comfort. The enjoyment comes from driving a 1980 vintage car... Period!
Jerry Seinfeld said it best... That cars are about personality, style, and character. You have to drive what appeals to your character and style. That's is what's great about the 911, each variation appeals to a different person. From the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's, they all have different appeals. You have to get in where you fit in. They don't all appeal to everyone.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replys everyone. I hear how much everyone loves their car. I am just not used to something of this vintage and need to let it grow on me. I have not had it out on the twisties...i have not had it out so i can really open it up. I am going to have some me time this weekend and do just that. I look forward to falling in love!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just remember not to lift.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to find some corners... and when you find them... find the limit of the car. If you survive... You'll be grinning.

edit: You'll be laughing hysterically!

Jase.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look at this guy. He's a local friend, father of 4, accident attorney, 48 years old, paid $20,000 for this car a few years ago with the paint, interior, and engine already done. He then took the car to 11.

Be that guy!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
tdrimer
Racer

anyone want to lend me $30K !!! That arrow blue car is FREAKING AWESOME
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Well... I don't think it is going to happen for you. Whatever you do, do not take it on some back roads and above 5k on the tach. I think it would be best to just send that old timer red coupe my way. I will take it off your hands.... It is all for the best

I just had my new to me 84 targa delivered last Sunday morning at 2am. I have just been going ***** out on the twisty back roads non-stop since I got it. I swear to god, I have had a smile across my face since it rolled off the truck. My "depression" was gone instantly. I should have never gotten rid of my last 911. I never got into weed or was a big drinker. My first car was an 84 944 and I would always just use my pcars as stress management. I have spent most of my time sitting in the garage staring at it when I am not driving it. There is something mesmerizing about guards red.

For me, it is an insanely fast go-cart. I would probably never buy anything newer than an 89 1/2 911. I would just drive a Honda accord or something automatic for a daily. I didn't really bond with my last 911, but this time, it was instant.

Can't wait to get that leather oil tomorrow so I can get those seats soft and supple. Sometimes I will just open the door and take a whiff of the interior. My wife thinks I am crazy.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I've had the opportunity to drive a variety of 911s from the 70s, 80, 90s and 2000s. Many of the aircooled models, especially compared to modern cars, feel a little bumbling when driven around town or driven at modest speeds. Its not until you start to push the car that it really opens up to you and begins to communicate. The control inputs that feel 'agricultural' in normal driving, make sense and start to shine when you are speed.

I think of it in terms of personality. When driving slowly the car is a little bored and it shows you that. As you speed up the car is starting to get interested. When you hit the corners at speed the car begins to really live and appreciate you as a pilot.

Once you've built that bond, the car will feel better in all conditions because you'll begin to understand each other. There's a reason these cars are said to have 'character'. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. They are uneven vehicles and over time you can grow to love that feeling. Or perhaps you will find you want a car that feels more modern, more even tempered and less demanding of you when you drive it. That's cool too, it takes all sorts!

That's been my experience and I hope it helps you. I'd also add that every single 911 feels different. That's another part of their character. They were built by hand and each one was slightly different from the factory and those differences grow as the years go by depending on care and feeding.

I also know what you mean in terms of the car feeling like someone else's. You need to find ways to build a bond. I've found that a good thorough interior cleaning, even replacing some of the touch points can help a lot. It also helps to do a few mechanical projects on the car - it'll feel much more like your own. A long road trip will help too!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 PM
tdrimer
Racer

i have loved all my Pcars. Tremendously. This one is just not singing to me...yet. I will get her out and about and spend some time with it and i am sure it will hit me.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by crixer
Well... Sometimes I will just open the door and take a whiff of the interior. My wife thinks I am crazy.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I did real leather (suede side out) door cards and leather seats. Opening the door is almost intoxicating.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:56 PM
froggert
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crixer
Can't wait to get that leather oil tomorrow so I can get those seats soft and supple. Sometimes I will just open the door and take a whiff of the interior. My wife thinks I am crazy.
Not at all crazy. I left my car at a friend's shop for a few weeks. When other customers would took a look at my car, he'd open the door and let them get a whiff. I don't know if it's the leather, wood, burnt oil or what, but cars today just don't smell the same.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by froggert
Not at all crazy. I left my car at a friend's shop for a few weeks. When other customers would took a look at my car, he'd open the door and let them get a whiff. I don't know if it's the leather, wood, burnt oil or what, but cars today just don't smell the same.
Years ago, a friend stored his car in a warehouse full of "Old Spice" men's cosmetic products. Days after he retrieved the car, it smelled like "after shave" lotion.......

Quick Reply: walk me off the ledge