Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:46 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakrat
I've been told to completely ignore the gauge and go by the dipstick.
It's recommended to check the dipstick every few days of driving... or every 200-500 miles (depending on how often you drive it, how you drive it, and where you drive it).

The fear of the Porsche Gods was put into me when I was told to NEVER go by the gauge or I'll end up putting too much oil in the engine which is catastrophic for these engines.
I think you're a little over cautious about all this. "Catastrophic"!?!? You don't see this list full of posts of people who blew up their engine by overfilling it. Any?

I certainly can believe that not all oil level gauges are perfect, or have accuracy comparable to the dipstick. But I can also believe that many do. I know mine does, because every time I check the dipstick, I compare it vs. the gauge and every time they are in sync. I do look at my gauge, and I do believe it, and I check it vs. the dipstick occasionally.

I can understand with a new car you want to be overly cautious (that's how I was too), but at the least, I suggest that you make a note of the gauge reading each time you check the dipstick. You might just find a perfect match between the two (as I have for the last 20 years on my car). If you do, I'll bet the gauge is more convenient.

The other thing that is very closely tied into this discussion is oil consumption / leakage rate. You'll want to figure out what that number is for your car. It should end up being pretty steady unless something goes wrong. And that will let you know how frequent / careful / etc. you need to be with this.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:21 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree with other helpful comments; your Owners Manual will advise checking oil on the dipstick and keeping level in the middle of the add and max marks. I agree it is critical that your car is up to operating temp which has been suggested by other RLers at least 10 minutes of driving at highway speeds if possible.
Seems these cars are vary variable some taking oil once between changes even if driven and others needing to be topped off to the proper level just after a few drives, realizing how hard it is driven could affect oil consumption.

Quick Reply: Oil level question