Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:38 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
As ar as I know the 3.2 Carrera SuperSport does not have the anti-dive which is built into the Turbo body shell, the front end is stock Carrera. The rear end is Turbo, to convert the Carrera to Turbo suspension will require replacement of the centre section of the rear torsion tube to incorporate the turbo trailing arm mounts (or fabrication of same) and fit the 930 trailing arms.
hello Colin

the steering rack looks nearly identical to the narrow body but is slightly different in were the mounting bosses are different lengths due to the different sheet metal up front. that is why that have a different part number. please dont ask me how i know...lol anyone here have a spare 930 rack for me?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Look at the chassis leg section just above the lateral arm of the wishbone. The turbo has a flattened seam for additional clearance, the Carrera and SuperSport have an upright seam.

For those who have not got a clue to what we are talking about, the 930 Turbo had anti-dive built into the front suspension by adding forward rake to the wishbone. This was achieved by raising the steering crossmember mountings at the back of the arm and lowering the front with an inverted bush with integral spacers.
interesting, what year was the 930 and this SS? a 86 and later car? many detail differences on the later 3.2 bodies, stamped flares rather than welded, half circle tb hole, thicker sheet metal etc. i had a 86 930 and 84 M491
Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

All 930 models had this modification from 1977 to 1989. In fact I've got a stripped down '77 930 in the workshop, if I get the chance tomorrow I will post a photo of the modified front "anti-dive" mountings and the rear 930 inner trailing arm mounts. This 930 had weld on flares, you are correct that the later cars had a one-piece quarter panel pressing.
For the record none of the factory SuperSport Carrera's had anti-dive, even though they were equipped with turbo brakes.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:19 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

colin

yes i would like to confirm if my m491 dosent have the anti dive. just pics comparing the front in were the areas differ will do. thank you in advance for taking the time to enlighten us!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Forget the 3.6 used motor/rebuild expense. It's more fun to work with the stock 3.2. Lots of fun to build and less than the 3.6 budget thrown out here.
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Jerry Woods Enterprises in Campbell has done many of these outlaw cars. It's going to be expensive.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Racer

I'm working on a new column that will attempt to make sense out of all there terms we use.

Here's a start. Your reaction?

Clone: Cloning is a form of reproduction. Cloning is the process of making a genetically identical organism. The key word here is identical. If someone is going to clone a Brumos car then it has to be a perfect reproduction Not close - perfect.

Replica: This is a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision. The key element here is that the replica must be made under the supervision of the original artist. In the case of a car the original artisans must be involved.

Tribute: Art can be a tribute to an event or a person. You might also create a car as a tribute. The most common tribute over the past few years is creating a car or a motorcycle in tribute to the twin towers that were destroyed on 9-11. Last year an art display was created as a tribute to the Orlando shooting victims. I could say that my 911 is a tribute to Ferry Porsche.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Wonder how much this one cost to build?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...sr-recreation/
Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Wonder how much this one cost to build?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...sr-recreation/
another flyn-hawn Pelican build
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Richard, You are a mean task master.

I'd not be able to do any of the above with my skill set or budget. What I can do is:

RestoMod:/Backdating: A blending of old and new that is true to the original style and craftsmanship of the marque. A mix of factory parts restored or modified and presented to appear as though the work was done back when the car was new. In the case of Porsche, if the factory used it in or did it to their race cars, it's fair game. The race cars got Perlon felt, so my car gets Perlon felt. In my case, the use of parts that predate the model year of the car is not only allowed, but preferred. IE: H4 headlights on an H5 headlight car. Manual heater pulls on a tub that had auto-heat as standard. Deleting anything that isn't absolutely essential is also strongly encouraged....back seats, skirts, A/C, heater blowers, etc.... .....purist be damned.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Humble suggestion since I dont have my build in hand for a few more months, so I cannot speak to the final product but I spent a few days visiting the shop and also had a trusted Porsche/car enthusiast friend with me on one visit prior to making my decision.
check out "RS-Werks" if willing to consider hotrodded, backdated, or IROC build. I recently traded my 07 GT3 for an IROC tribute from a 1988 donor 911 coupe with its G50 trans and will have a 964 3.6 motor.
Feel free to email me or call me if you want more comments from me.
Todd
Riesentotor Region (Philly area)
703-627-8221
Old 11-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Oz 3.2c
6th Gear

As I contemplate my own hotrod project, I find it interesting reading what others consider a hotrod, because there doesn't seem to be an agreed definition. I look at amber lamps car and while I understand it, to me, it seems really mildly modified and i struggle to think of it as a hotrod. Certainly, it's a bit Outlaw, but for me, it's more of a mild rod than a hotrod. That's not meant to knock the car. with the DIY and work done, it's great value for money and a car to be proud of.

Maybe my ideas are a bit out there, but without a noticeable hike in power and a bigger drop in weight, I struggle to call a car a hotrod. But then, my target for my hotrod is under 2200lbs (secretly trying for 2100lbs!) and around 350bhp.

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2016, 05:10 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

that sounds good to me

if you get the wt. down to 1,500 lbs. even a puny 200 hp would make it a hotrod...
Old 11-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While it may not be a "Hot Rod" like my '64 Barracuda with the 318 block/340 heads, sick Isky cam, Holley 650 double pumper, Hooker Headers, Hurst Ram Rod, etc was a Hot Rod, it's still worthy of the excitement it generates in my head when I'm behind the wheel.

.....and it looks like my shop is about to get even crazier.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...l#post13770171
Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 PM
hangar21
7th Gear

Thumbs up

FWIW, I started my search in 2008 & found a "project" on eBay. I say project, but it was a running car (87 CAB) that PO had installed wide body kit (average workmanship). The car had been involved in a accident-hence the wide body kit (1st clue). The A/C didn't work, the aftermarket stereo/security system didn't work, but the engine passed its leak down & compression test! So I put in a low bid ($16,600) & thought, "I have no chance". Days later I read, "congratulations, your the winning bidder"!
Since that time here's the list of work;
-Elephant Racing Street/Track 2 suspension, front & rear
-Retro Air A/C system, complete replacement
-M&K pre muffler (replaced CAT) & muffler (1 in, 2 out)
-Steve Wong chip
-wheels CCW Wheels rear 17"x11.5", front 17"x9"",
-Tires Nitto NT05 rest 315/35ZR17 front 255/40ZR17
-rear seat delete bob w/rear speakers
-Stero system, Alpine PDR-V75 amp, Alpine CDE-HD148BT
-interior, replaced carpet & repaired door panels
-rollbar installation
-windshield replaced
Current project;
-Kirkey (17") racing seats
-6 point harnesses for both seats
I accomplished most of the work over the last 3 years. The engine is next. I'm still deciding if I replace with 3.6/3.8 or improve my 3.2?
Here's a pic, good luck & im always interested in any feedback from you guys.
Terry

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?