77 911S targa garage find (sorta) w/special options - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryShugart
Beautiful car. I rebuilt my 75 911S close to 19 years ago. This was pre-internet and quite an adventure. I used Bruce Anderson's book as a guide along with a lot of help and advice from a local Porsche shop. I too had excessive oil leaks prior to the rebuild. Worst where from the leaking oil return tubes raining oil all over the exhaust. Could be something to look at. I did split the cases and install time-certs and raceware studs. Only other changes where the exhaust to 74 style SSI and the addition of a fender mounted oil cooler.
I love the car and it has been pretty faithful given the usual old car electrical gremlins and little things like the shift coupler dissolving one afternoon.
Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Terry Shugart
75 911S
Welcome Terry! Where have you been? Every now and then I've wondered if you were still around.

I first "met" Terry on Porschefans and I think Porschephiles, the email-only predecessors to Rennlist in the mid-1990's.

I went through a long period of inactivity myself, but I've been trying to get more active in the past year or so.

Hope to see you around more.

Mark
Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
TerryShugart
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark and all. Nice to hear from you. To answer your question "FLORIDA" . I retired twice but finally made it on the third try. I've tried to get on this site in the past and reactivate my Lifetime Rennlist membership but have never been able to connect with admin.
At any rate I plan to be around more now.
Terry
1975 911S
Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

I went through a period of inactivity - from 1986 until now. I was a PCA family member with my Dad, first with his 914 and then 911.

The fuchs are being sent out tomorrow. I took a ride in the car today. It sounds great but is still stuttering so there's a bug somewhere in the fuel system. My mechanic had originally planned to go right to a rebuild but when he got the car started it sounded so good he called an audible, fixed the brakes (fuel tank had already been done. Points done. New plugs. He wants to do a little detective work and see what's what. The leaks will need to be addressed and I am hoping it turns out to be seals and not a ring or three.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 PM
TerryShugart
Advanced

On mine I ended up replacing the injectors. Tried having them cleaned but in the end replaced them. Easy to check the spray pattern as I'm sure your mechanic knows. Also as I'm sure he knows you want the CIS pressures to be set and correct.
Terry
75 911S
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

Ok. Long time no update. My apologies but things have been going along slowly - as was expected for a project. But things have gone really well. My mechanic wanted to take it slow and suss everything out and I am happy to say that the car is now running really well. This is a real testament to the guy because I brought it in saying "it needs to be rebuilt" and he recommended taking a slow and diagnostic approach that ended up saving me a LOT of money as the car doesn't need to be rebuilt. One day I'm sure - but not today. It's very strong, tons of power, compression right around 148 in every cylinder. Pretty sure all of the oil leaks have been taken care of but there's a lot of old gunk that will need to smoke off before we can be sure I guess. It had been spraying oil all over the engine compartment from leaks at multiple seals. The main problem the car had turned out to be a gummed up fuel distributor that just needed to be cleaned. The oil tank was also replaced as the original was another leak source. Wheels are refinished and just went on the car today. Monday will be some balancing and a few more smaller things and then I will be back in the saddle of it again after eons. I took it for an hour-long test drive today and despite the temporary wheels injecting a shudder into things the car felt fantastic and very strong.

I went the cheap route on the tires but they are still V-rated and the cost of the exact sized Pirellis was astronomical. The targa top still needs to be addressed so I figured best to direct maximum funds to do it right as I wear the rubber off these tires on the remaining sunny days of the year.

Also still has yet to be washed.

Quick Reply: 77 911S targa garage find (sorta) w/special options - need advice