Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

77 911S targa garage find (sorta) w/special options - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

If car has been sitting - likely fuel lines are cracking or bulging as well as brake lines. Injectors clogged? Could the smoke in the cockpit be through the heater vents? My be an oil leek dripping into heat exchangers causing that. Do you have a local Pclub member that might recommend a great Independent shop that is experienced with this MY motor?

Beautiful remembrance of your father to get her running. Great looking car
Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 AM
robokeith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smoke in the cockpit is def coming in through the heater vents.

Best thing about this is that my Dad is still with me (thank goodness, didn't mean to give the impression he was not, and he will get to enjoy rides in the car and giving her a go as well. He is just a fantastic guy and appreciated what the car always meant to me, had always promised she'd be mine and gave her to me officially almost a decade ago.

I can check with the Pclub folks, I probably should do that -- but I have a mechanic who is very good, does a lot of Porsche work and is a Euro-car only shop (altho not a Porsche-only shop). I know perhaps the best would be someone who does 911 engines all day long but he's a great mechanic and he is a great guy. When I was struggling and starting my business he worked on my cars and defrayed payments for months and months -- even doing work he felt we needed on our family Mercedes for safety's sake and telling me "Pay me when your ship comes in." I feel a tremendous sense of loyalty to the man. He has always done a great job and I believe he will stand by his work. I figure I'll gather as much info as possible and hand it over to him when the car goes in (Scheduled for Oct. 17 at this point).
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

yeah front of passenger side is classic triangle of death leak, it collects where the three tubes of th heat exchanger come together. risk of fire in this are is high . I might have a pic of what my engine looked like when I took the shroud off to give you an idea. I will post it later
Old 08-26-2016, 10:35 AM
robokeith
Intermediate

That would be awesome, thanks. I had noticed a good triangle of death thread on here a while back but I can't locate it now. I thought a search would reveal it but I can't seem to locate it.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

see how it leaks then runs over to cylinder 6 ( towards front of car passenger side. ) then down and drips onto the exchanger and smokes. This is a classic leak
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 AM
robokeith
Intermediate

Ok, so I got down on the floor and stuck my phone underneath and kinda blindly took pics. I *think* it looks pretty clean but there's a couple spots where oil is congealed and it looks pretty slimy that has me worried. The cracking I think is just the cosmoline, right? I have no idea what's going on there so I'd appreciate any thoughts. I am still on track to have her towed to the shop in the middle of next month.

Last edited by robokeith; 09-09-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added a few more photos
Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Meef
5th Gear

Cool Car, great memories.

CarsInc for the targa top repair, here is a link: www.carsincnj.com you'll smile when you see the picture on the link... and yes that's how the keys came originally. Best of wishes!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:13 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

Thank you! The car on their masthead is like a long-hood version of mine. Awesome! No appearance-group trim tho!

I was thinking that slimy oily area might be the remains of a seal degrading?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:57 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well 'robokeith,' I just wanted to hop in here and extend to you my heartiest 'congratulations' on such a great car, and on your plans to bring it back to life, AND to share all of this with your Dad! How I envy you as you begin this adventure!

My first 911 was also a '77, and in the same color, too. Here is a photo of it when it was a 'cover girl' om the cover of the local PCA region's monthly magazine.

Dang, I wish I had that car back.

Congratulations again... All the BEST to you
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

Thank you! Awesome color. Having your car on the cover must have been a rush!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Irhmsd
Intermediate

What a great car and story? Where in NJ are you? I live in New Hope, PA and have a 1974 targa with a very similar story! She has just come out of major restoration including a 3.2 and is wonderful. Sadly, I lost my had in Janaury a month after he gave me the car but this is a memory of he and I forever.

You can see my journey here:

https://m.facebook.com/NH911S/?ref=page_internal
Old 09-18-2016, 07:06 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

Awesome car! I 'liked' your page. I'm not all that far from you, it would be great to connect. My car is less than 30 days away from going into the shop and I would love any advice that you might have. I'm going to be sending out the targa top to be rebuilt and the fuchs to be refinished as well.

Seeing the page for the restoration of your Dad's car, I see that you have the same kind of connection to your 911 as I have with mine. It is more than just a car. It's a time machine straight back into my personal past and relationship with my Dad.

Also - as an update to the above, that ugly slimy looking mess on the transmission is apparently just a degrading gasket. Whew.

Last edited by robokeith; 09-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Irhmsd
Intermediate

Default 911S Resto

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, lots of memories and connection to my dad! Let's catch up live. This is my second major Resto, the first being a 356SC sunroof coupe. I can share lots of ideas and love that we have the "dad" connection. Your car is stunning!

ivan
Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Very cool car. The dictation machine is something I have not seen.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 AM
robokeith
Intermediate

Less that two weeks now before the old machine goes into the shop. Nervous and excited. I'm going to go wash the dust off of it that's build up over the years (PLENTY of water to make sure I don't mar the finish which is excellent).

I'm going to need the wheels sent out for restoration. I've heard fuchsrestoration.com is good. Anyone second that?

I also need the targa top refurbished. Anyone have a recommendation for that?

Quick Reply: 77 911S targa garage find (sorta) w/special options - need advice