Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 Carrera 3.2 Idle Issues- Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:56 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, here is a video of the jumping idle. No where near as bad as before, but a little annoying.

https://youtu.be/XH4fMsmy70c

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Hey fellas,

Thought I'd update you on the progress.

I continued checking for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and had no luck. I moved onto grounds and everything I've checked is clean and tight. Although I've only checked about half so far.

Last night I decided to increase the idle, and I believe the previous owner had it set with the vacuum leak present. It was low (650 to 750). I increased it to 900ish by jumping g the b and c ports on the diagnostic port, and adjusting the idle hex screw on the throttle body.

I took it for a drive, and the idle bounced around slightly at stop lights. Went home and lowered the idle a little, and it seemed to cure it. It was late, so I didn't have time to test it on a cold start. I'll do that tonight.

one thing I noticed while testing things, we're these two wires with female connectors on the drivers side of the engine bay, nother connected to anything. Anyone know wherected they are supposed to go?

Just seemed odd to me.

I'll let you guys know how the cold driving goes tonight. This is the true test.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm super curious about your outcome on this. Very similar behavior here. Have done:

DME relay
Fuel filter (decently dirty)
Idle set
Proportioning valve clean (was sticking, and I believe that has cured most of the ills)

Problem persists. Hoping you've found your solution.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, this is known as a "hunting idle". It is typically caused by a rich idle mixture.
My car does it when cold but settles down after it warms up.

The issue is:
1. The rich mixture raises the idle
2. O2 sensor sees the RPM rising with the closed throttle switch activated.
3. The DME takes control to lower the RPM.

All the systems are working against each other and causes the idle to hunt.

The mixture screw is located on the MAF above the idle stabilizer valve and to the left of the idle stabilizer hose.

Turning is counter-clockwise will make the mixture leaner (adds more bypass air).

I would start by turning is out by 1/2 turn until the hunting stops.

You may find the idle will need to be re-set after the mixture is correct.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:58 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the red circle. It may have a yellow cap on it as shown.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

have a base CO check done while warm.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
have a base CO check done while warm.
I have an appointment for Monday morning to have a CO test and possibly a smoke test for vacuum leaks.

I adjusted the mixture using the adjustment on the throttle body, but it didn't help.

I'll definitely let you guys know what the diagnosis is.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
If I'm not mistaken, this is known as a "hunting idle". It is typically caused by a rich idle mixture.
My car does it when cold but settles down after it warms up.

The issue is:
1. The rich mixture raises the idle
2. O2 sensor sees the RPM rising with the closed throttle switch activated.
3. The DME takes control to lower the RPM.

All the systems are working against each other and causes the idle to hunt.

The mixture screw is located on the MAF above the idle stabilizer valve and to the left of the idle stabilizer hose.

Turning is counter-clockwise will make the mixture leaner (adds more bypass air).

I would start by turning is out by 1/2 turn until the hunting stops.

You may find the idle will need to be re-set after the mixture is correct.
Thanks for that and the photo. I don't want to derail OP's inquiry, but if we're experience the same or very similar problems, maybe this is support for the cure.

My symptoms - 'hunting' idle at times, coupled with a rather severe 'on/off' fuel delivery feel during warm up - were greatly reduced when the air balance valve was cleaned. (My car was a real barn find, having sat for years).

Yet the odd fuel on/off feel seemed to happen when the car was going from open to closed loop. (Hope I have the order correct, according to my tech.) During the transition, weirdness happened, but it was a hit or miss thing.

The air balance valve cleaning definitely helped, but it persisted. He reset the idle, checked CO (was pretty off). Yesterday I unplugged the O2 sensor and ran the car.

It performed fine during what would've normally produced the on/off feel. Yet as mentioned, this is a sneaky ghost and I'm not calling victory yet. We shall see.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,120 Posts

To be clear the screw under the (replaceable) yelllow cap is base idle. The mixture is under a cap that must be drilled to remove if not already on the airflow meter.

If you have checked for leaks then the next step is to have the idle mix adjusted with an air fuel mix meter and adjust base idle (must jump ports on dial and pull 02 plug while doing this). Get your idle mix right. Oh car must be hot. Above midway.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
To be clear the screw under the (replaceable) yelllow cap is base idle. The mixture is under a cap that must be drilled to remove if not already on the airflow meter.

If you have checked for leaks then the next step is to have the idle mix adjusted with an air fuel mix meter and adjust base idle (must jump ports on dial and pull 02 plug while doing this). Get your idle mix right. Oh car must be hot. Above midway.
Thanks for the correction. Its been years since I've done this and didn't check the Bentley before responding.

Long story short, the OP's issues sounds like an idle mixture issue.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Hi All,

After talking to the mechanic, he suggested we do the CO test/ set the mixture, but FIRST I should do new plugs, and set the valves. (wires, cap and rotor looked good still).

So I took her home, swapped the plugs for nice NGK ones, pulled the valve covers, adjusted the valves (most felt okay, but I was super meticulous about it- one or two actually felt a little tight). Installed new gaskets and hardware as the old ones were a tad leaky.

She ran awesome after this, and the mechanic dialed her in with the machine and set the mixture for me. She seems a little rich on start up, but then levels out as she warms up and runs awesome.

I feel confident that the problem is cured. It was probably just a combination of the old plugs in there and valves slightly out of adjustment. Previous owner had mentioned he adjusted the valves in the past, but couldn't produce an invoice, so it may have been a few years.

The valve adjustment was actually kind of fun, and a great thing to know how to do if you own one of these cars. I highly recommend doing it yourself, saved me about $650 also!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Check that the idle contact switch on the side of the throttle body is being made when your foot is off the gas.

Quick Reply: 1987 Carrera 3.2 Idle Issues- Please help!