1975 Porsche 911S ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 AM
brianwbates
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 1975 911 S

Hey Everyone,

This is a great thread. I too am looking at a 1975 911 S. I don't think I know as much about the car as this potential buyer, but here is the link the car.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5931430241.html

For me, this would be a huge project. This car clearly needs exterior and interior work (from what I know as of today), which for me and our situation living here in the city with no garage would mostly mean me working with a local garage.

I know of a great garage from when I owned an '86 911 ...so that piece is not a problem. But I also don't have a ton of money to spend on this project (in the near term), so doubling my cost (purchase price plus the cost to get it looking great), would not be ideal. Plus I don't want to be done and then have a car that is above market value.

I also hear a lot about how the engines in the '75 go by 50K. But that most shops know how to avoid this if the car doesn't need to go smog, which this one won't need to. But this car has 55K so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks for any and all feedbackl!

Brian
Old 01-05-2017, 05:14 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianwbates
Hey Everyone,

This is a great thread. I too am looking at a 1975 911 S. I don't think I know as much about the car as this potential buyer, but here is the link the car.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5931430241.html

For me, this would be a huge project. This car clearly needs exterior and interior work (from what I know as of today), which for me and our situation living here in the city with no garage would mostly mean me working with a local garage.

I know of a great garage from when I owned an '86 911 ...so that piece is not a problem. But I also don't have a ton of money to spend on this project (in the near term), so doubling my cost (purchase price plus the cost to get it looking great), would not be ideal. Plus I don't want to be done and then have a car that is above market value.

I also hear a lot about how the engines in the '75 go by 50K. But that most shops know how to avoid this if the car doesn't need to go smog, which this one won't need to. But this car has 55K so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks for any and all feedbackl!

Brian

No way man, i just bought an SC for 14k.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

a Calif. '75 likely had thermal reactors - even tho 55k is a bit early for problems I'd want a substantial risk premium before buying it

take the price of a same condition SC and subtract the cost of a new motor - that is a decent offer

or find a '75 imported to Oregon or another state without the thermal reactors
Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 PM
brianwbates
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Seems high to me, even though prices, in general, seem to be high.

I am dying to find another Porsche. Had to sell my '86 in 2010 due to financial hardship and literally every day I am kicking myself for that short-sighted bone head move.

So needless to say, the feedback and dose of perspective as I desperately search for my next Porsche is really appreciated.

SC's are my dream Porsche's. If you ever find another one even close to decently priced, please advise.

Thanks again for the input!

Brian

Quick Reply: 1975 Porsche 911S ?