Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake Caliper Rebuild

Noticed the thread on about rotors, and second the notion of a cooling kit -- Very good idea. I was rebuilding my calipers because the heat eats up the piston seals. I rebuilt one of the pistons at VIR and thought I would tackle the others and ordered the necessary parts, primarily the piston seals from one of the site sponsors. In the future I don't want the complete kit, just the piston seals.

The shipping invoice identifies the part correctly, but when I attempted to install the seal in the first of the rear calipers, I found it was significantly smaller in diameter then the one I took out. Upon examination, I discovered that the caliper rebuild kit package was labeled 914-4 1970-76, but that was not as obvious as the great big 914-352-999-00 part number.

I assume there is no way that one will fit?? Is anyone aware of a source for just the piston seals -- I found it was a good thing to take to the track at VIR. I have to take the Boxster in for its 30K mile check on Monday so I can probably pick the parts up at the dealer on Monday.

Unfortunately, there is no way the vendor will even know they need to send the correct part until Monday, but that maybe good that I could not talk to them today

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Rebuild