Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear brake light contact problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:03 PM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake light contact problems

I'm currently caring for (owning) a 1987 911 Carrera Cabriolet with a persistent and recurring "contact" problem.

Every few weeks, my rear brake lights, cease to maintain a good contact with the brass tab in the light socket.

I have used a wire brush to clean the bulb, and both the negative and positive contacts in the socket. I think what's happening is the brass tab that also functions as a spring to hold the bulb tightly in the socket, is no longer elastic.

In the past, I use a needle nose plyers to grab the prsss tab and pull it slightly out, but over time, the tab seems to sink back in, allowing the bulb to jiggle in the socket and eventually lose contact with one of the two contact points.

Any ideas on a more permanent fix, short of buying completely new housings?

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally use a hook to bend the tab back out.You are probably not tensioning it enough to begin with. I dont thin I've ever had the problem reoccur. Don't brake the housing though.It's pot metal Which means you can't solder it.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a new one on me - replaced both rear light units after 14 years and the casings were just holes but all the lights still worked. Is the tab properly attached to the housing?

PJC

Quick Reply: Rear brake light contact problems