windshield disaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:04 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post windshield disaster

Hi everyone
Just had my windshield installed today , on close inspection I noticed something shiny black around the rubber seal. Turns out they urethaned it in. I also noticed the black metal trim in some places does n't have a tight seal. When I confronted the guy who did the work, His reply was " WHATS THE BIG DEAL WE DO IT LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME". This is a reputable auto glass shop.
Any ideas on what I should do?

Oh yeah, I also picked up 12 inchs of my rubber seal off the floor. The one that goes under the windshield. I know its not a brand new car but its my 84 carrera cab. I'll bet they urethaned this also.Imagine this guy "WHATS THE BIG DEAL" I'll bet its a big deal when I trade up or sell it. It'll be a great spot for my PPI to start.

Wish I knew ? What to do?
Mike (mducharme)
Old 03-31-2003, 11:10 PM
John Liu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's terrible! Sure it is really urethane "glue" and not simply "sealant", though?

I would take it to a really good windshield shop (one recommended by a Porche dealer or mechanic) and see what they say. I suppose you can always cut off the seal, cut through the urethane, possibly break the windshield, and cut off the remaining urethane - in the worst case, anyway?

If you confirm the installer screwed up, I would also try to stop payment - stop the check, or call your credit card company to dispute payment. Having detailed photos and the estimate of the second shop should help.

Quick Reply: windshield disaster