Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Cooler Scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:58 AM
bship
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Cooler Scoop?

Does anybody have any experience or opinion on the Cooler Scoop advertised in Tweeks pg 92 that replaces your side marker light? I plan on using mainly for track events but I wonder does it really direct enough air to make an difference?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 12:44 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scott,

I purchased the oil cooler scoop from Pelican Parts last summer. I installed it on my 1984 Carrera which I use in 6 to 8 DE events each year. I also purchased and installed a new numeric oil temp gauge (w/new sending unit) because I want to see numbers...not lines on a oil temp gauge.

I will share my results. My Carrera has the OEM 28-tube brass cooler and I use Mobil 1. Prior to installing the scoop and new gauge, I would occasionally see 245 degrees on a hot/humid summer day on the track. After installing the scoop and new gauge, my max. oil temp on hot/humid days is 220 degrees. By "hot", I am talking about Summit Point Raceway on a 90+ degree summer day.

You can reach your own conclusions, but the combo of installing the scoop and a new oil temp gauge knocked 25 degrees off my oil temps. I was very satisfied with the results.

I will admit that in normal street driving, I really do not see any appreciable benefit from the scoop.

Hope this helps. Bruce
Old 03-27-2003, 12:53 PM
nut11
Intermediate

Interesting.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:18 PM
k9handler
Intermediate

it works...but you can fab your own cheaper than $90!!! Mine is fiberglass and has worked fine for the past year.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:53 AM
thrown_hammer
Intermediate

AHH Mr. Smith crossposting I see?
Now to the question at hand. A guy in our PCA region made one from sheetmetal and then painted it with rubberized coating. Looks like the $90 one to me.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:12 PM
k9handler
Intermediate

sure am Shawn...I have been on here for a while just don't post very often.
Mine was made from an old reflector, 1 Dr Pepper can, masking tape, and then covered in fiberglass and painted black. My buddy made it for me after we installed the Mocal cooler...and he did it overnight so we could run that next day at the Autox.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Greg S
Track Day

Yes, it works, but works best at freeway speed when it can "scoop" enough air to make a difference. Around town it won't do much at all. It will take a few miles on the freeway to bring down the temps after being caught in traffic. That said, on my SC, the scoop alone would keep oil temp at or below 210 deg on an 85 deg day, AC on, 80 mph cruise. Under the same conditions, a cut valence kept the temps at 195 deg or lower, using a Carrera cooler w/ fan.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:29 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

It seems that Mr. Smith owes me licence fees for reproducing my patented scoop design.That will be $6.86 -thats 7% of the gross sale on a suggested retail of $98.00. I will expect a check in the mail asap.
Jerry
Old 03-29-2003, 11:05 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott, I notice you are running an 83SC, the same car I used to have. If you have not done so, you should consider replacing the trombone oil cooler with a 85 or newer Carrera radiator style cooler with a fan. I did this on my SC, but rather than the thermostat fan switch, I used a manual switch. That way, as soon as I hit traffic, I immediately switched on the fan.

I also installed the scoop and ,like others have said above, it is only effective at highway speeds, and above. But with the Carrera cooler and the scoop, I never again worried about high oil temps, with or without the A/C, or in town or on the highway. I'm of of the school that believes constant high temps causes premature engine component failure.

Chuck
93 C2
Old 03-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one and love it! I got mine at Pelican. Just like the others said, it works best when cruising above 40 mph. I saw a drop of at least 15 degrees F. on a track day. And thats with a Carrera cooler not the trombone.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:12 AM
bship
Intermediate

Scupper, I have the Carrera upgrade with the thermostat and would like to remove the thermostat also. Is it complicated? I can do basic wiring but when I looked at the wiring set up I was confused. Are there simple directions?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Wink

Works best in conjunction w/ Cool Collar.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:27 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

P-phanatic,

I'm beginning to think that the 'Cool Collar' is an automotive version of the 'urban legend' *G*

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Scoop?