Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 Targa - new owner, new to Rennlist & looking forward to discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Ryanonarcher
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tire Opinion? & 15x8 Fuchs

Looking to purchase 15x8 Fuchs for my rear wheels and then move the current 15x7 fuchs to the front - hoping to fill out those wheel well a bit more.

New 15x8 Fuchs:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUFUCHS815.html

What is the Rennlist communities thoughts on these Toyo R1R tires?
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!product.../145020/145010

At the same time will be performing the following upgrades:
-Adding turbo tie rods
-Lowering suspension
-Bump steering front suspension
-Valve adjustment to attend to a couple pesky leaks
Old 05-07-2016, 09:33 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

You should have 16" wheels
Best tires are Bridgestone RE11
Old 05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed with RS Targa.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Ryanonarcher
Rennlist Member

16's do look sharp.

According to Suncoastparts.com the 16x8 will fit the rear of my '87 Carrera but the 16x7 will not fit the front. Leaving me to move the current 15x7 rears to the front.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...CHASSISWH.html

Is that really the case?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the resist-the-mods camp and as these cars become older and more rare, I think they should be kept original (or reversible to original) as much as possible. E.g., If you lower the car, it will be harder to get in and out driveways and avoid scraping stuff. It turns out an AC radiator is mounted just behind the front bumper at about the bottom of the bumper and pointed down - exposed. It is recessed slightly behind a protective heavy scrape bar, but a prior owner of my car had managed to both bend the bar and mash the radiator. Lowering would make that event even harder to avoid.

I got my '88 Cab about a year ago and I focused on making sure everything works correctly (which is the case now). I do not like old cars on which some things don't work.

My car came pretty stock (except the radio) and the only mod I've made so far is the addition of turbo tie rods. I have a great time driving the car as is although sometimes I think about adding an OME Limited Slip.

Does your AC work? Since you live in San Diego, you'll probably want to make sure it works. Some people install aftermarket upgrades to the AC to get more cool air than the stock unit. Also in your case, 16" Fuchs might be nice and were a factory option for your car.

Of course, this is your car and you may do whatever you wish.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Meef
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16x7's will fit the front. You may not have to roll the fender lip with a 205/55 -16 on the wheel, you certainly will if you go the 225/50-16's.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Ryanonarcher
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your take, Terry. After some time to think read and research I have decided to keep a similar approach to modifications; don't do it if it's not an easy flip back to stock!

Currently the AC does not get cold and is the original stock unit that I understand needs replacement to be up to modern code anyway. I am not rushing to fix the AC just yet as the top is always off and/or windows down. I will see how things go through the heat...

I share your concern about lowering and plan on lowering just a small amount when I add the tie rods and flip out the wheels.

Meef - it would certainly be ideal to NOT have to round out any fenders to fit the 16x7 front wheels. Would it make any sense to run with 15x7s in the front and 16x8s in the rear?

Had a great time today getting this Targa out on some real mountain country roads in north east San Diego. Four hours of driving flew by...here is a pic pulled off in the middle of Mesa Grande.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Ryanonarcher
Rennlist Member

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanonarcher
Thanks for your take, Terry. After some time to think read and research I have decided to keep a similar approach to modifications; don't do it if it's not an easy flip back to stock!

Currently the AC does not get cold and is the original stock unit that I understand needs replacement to be up to modern code anyway. I am not rushing to fix the AC just yet as the top is always off and/or windows down. I will see how things go through the heat...

I share your concern about lowering and plan on lowering just a small amount when I add the tie rods and flip out the wheels.

Meef - it would certainly be ideal to NOT have to round out any fenders to fit the 16x7 front wheels. Would it make any sense to run with 15x7s in the front and 16x8s in the rear?

Had a great time today getting this Targa out on some real mountain country roads in north east San Diego. Four hours of driving flew by...here is a pic pulled off in the middle of Mesa Grande.
Congrats on the purchase. I've had my 87 targa for 19 years and just love it.

Over the years I've made a few simple changes. Most notable is Fabspeed single in/dual out and cat bypass exhaust. Fantastic sound. (I found a used rear valance and cut it to fit the dual outlet tips just in case I want to go back to original).

Other changes include 16 inch Fuchs all around, lowered to euro height, stainless steel brake lines. (BTW I think you're handling would be pretty scary with 15 inch wheels on the front and 16 on the rear).

Just had the top rebuilt by Carsincnj. Very nice job.

Other than that I've kept it as stock as possible (or reversible to stock).

Only other thing I would change are turbo tie rods.

Enjoy

Ed
1987 Carrera
2012C4 GTS
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats Ryan! She's a beauty and you will love that Targa experience.

1. Headlight wise, it's looks like you have the Euro upgrade already. Don't you have the H4s? If not, it's a must for night driving, as I have done this myself.
2. I also updated the speakers for my original blaupunkt, but what's really needed for better sound, is a new head unit.
3. Euro height wise, there is no difference in our model years, but you can lower the bars even further yourself. I also have bilstein HD setup, turbo tie rod ends, and a strut tower / stabilizer bar in the frunk. Handles great and not too harsh, given the HD's.
4. Make sure all your seals are good, especially targa bar and windshield. I replaced all and made a big sound and leaking difference.
5. I added a chip to the car, which makes a nice seat of pants difference. I also added a fabspeed duel output exhaust and cat bypass, which sounds great and also give nice little power boost, coupled w/ K/N filter and cup air box.
6. I added a short shifter, which cuts the throws in half, huge difference!

Here's a pic of my Targa and ask any more questions you like!
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Ryanonarcher
Rennlist Member

Ed / Sarge - thanks for reaching out. Sarge, great looking Targa, wowza!

I think I am beginning to notice a trend with the feedback and share a similar sentiment when it comes to enhancements. Tie-rods, stabilizer and perhaps an upgraded cat bypass would be tasteful upgrades.

Ed - you are most likely right about the 15s in front and 16s in back...sounds like a hairy set up!

I have 16x7s and 9s on order from Braid and a new set of the recommended Bridgestone RE11s.

Looking like the end of the month I'll have a new stance and improve suspension!

Thanks for all the guidance Renners...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the Suncoast Fuchs wheels the same weight as an original Fuchs? Same quality?
Old 05-13-2016, 11:54 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and being an aircooled Porche enthusiast.
Been following 911 market for only 6 years, but seems nowadays you can mod much more and not negatively impact resale value, unless your whole goal is to maximize resale after you own it for a few years which I do not get from your posts.
You now have a (currently) very desirable G50 911, which looks in very good condition. I cannot add to any of the other suggestions , so wish you much continued enjoyment.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:16 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanonarcher
Ed / Sarge - thanks for reaching out. Sarge, great looking Targa, wowza!

I think I am beginning to notice a trend with the feedback and share a similar sentiment when it comes to enhancements. Tie-rods, stabilizer and perhaps an upgraded cat bypass would be tasteful upgrades.

Ed - you are most likely right about the 15s in front and 16s in back...sounds like a hairy set up!

I have 16x7s and 9s on order from Braid and a new set of the recommended Bridgestone RE11s.

Looking like the end of the month I'll have a new stance and improve suspension!

Thanks for all the guidance Renners...
Thanks Ryan and good call on the 16s, that's the size I have as well.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:20 AM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

Ryan & grgallo,
what would you describe Cheery Red compare to Guards? looking at a potential car to add to the collection but it's a bit far from me.

Ryan,
Congrats on the Targa! where are you in SD? perhaps we can meet up to see it in person.

Quick Reply: '87 Targa - new owner, new to Rennlist & looking forward to discussion!