Stolen 1988 911 in Venice, CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM
tmb1988911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stolen 1988 911 in Venice, CA

Hey everyone,

Very disappointed to be making my first post on here an announcement that my 911 was stolen Thursday night in Venice, CA. 1988 with 86k miles on it, white exterior, white wheels and blue interior. Purchased 4 years ago and had kept in mint condition, so terribly upset about having it boosted (we have reserved off-street parking but it's not gated). I've read some of the other posts and understand odds are that it's on a shipping container out of the country already i.e. I'm not counting on LAPD to find it. Nonetheless, wanted to mention it on here in the off chance anyone happens to come across it online or in person.

License Plate: 7CDL051
VIN: WP0EB0910JS171509

Old 04-11-2016, 03:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

another one ? wasnt one just stolen out of san fran last week ?

lock up your toys boys !!!

so sad, i'm sure its gone to Europe or Asia

here is hoping someone just joy rided it and you will see it soon , personally I think these cars are being targeted, and California is the most target rich environment for escalating value classic Porsches.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man that sucks.

I noticed a guy yesterday at the Patrick Long Luftgekwhatever event taking pictures of license plates and I was freaked. Not the car, just the plate. He walked up to about a foot away and bent over kinda to the side and snapped a shot then moved on to the next one. He'd look around, bend over, snap the shot and move to the next car. Took me a bit to figure out what he was doing. Once I was out of my car he was gone in the crowd. WTF!!! This was out in the normal 911 street car / enthusiast section, not the high dollar collector sections. I think he was fishing for targets.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Man that sucks.

I noticed a guy yesterday at the Patrick Long Luftgekwhatever event taking pictures of license plates and I was freaked. Not the car, just the plate. He walked up to about a foot away and bent over kinda to the side and snapped a shot then moved on to the next one. He'd look around, bend over, snap the shot and move to the next car. Took me a bit to figure out what he was doing. Once I was out of my car he was gone in the crowd. WTF!!! This was out in the normal 911 street car / enthusiast section, not the high dollar collector sections. I think he was fishing for targets.
Doug too bad you didn't walk up to him and say excuse me sir .. and snapped his pic..

enthusiasts cars are much more available than high dollar collectors .. average theif can get your car out of your garage and gone in a couple of minutes im sure.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
Doug too bad you didn't walk up to him and say excuse me sir .. and snapped his pic..

enthusiasts cars are much more available than high dollar collectors .. average theif can get your car out of your garage and gone in a couple of minutes im sure.
I'm sure he is in the crowd somewhere:

https://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Luf...-April-10-2016

My car:

https://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Luf...16/i-KWsCZNv/A
Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I've got to ask.... Was the car at BEVERLY HILLS Porsche?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Man that sucks.

This is disturbing since I was at the show yesterday. All this dude needs is a buddy at the dmv and he has our address.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i say we all go over to Charlie Sheen's home and see if he has it stash over there
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by 911F1
This is disturbing since I was at the show yesterday. All this dude needs is a buddy at the dmv and he has our address.
Yep. I am so pissed at myself.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

Do you guys have alarms and hidden kill switches?
The hidden kill switch is very efficient. Unless they remove the car with a truck, those guys need to go fast, and with a switch hidden behind a random button in the dashboard or somewhere else, the robber would have to give up.
No car is impossible to steal but the more security layers you have the longer it will take for them to drive your car away
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

Also, pulling out the DME relay once your car is park is a good idea
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911cedric
Do you guys have alarms and hidden kill switches?
The hidden kill switch is very efficient. Unless they remove the car with a truck, those guys need to go fast, and with a switch hidden behind a random button in the dashboard or somewhere else, the robber would have to give up.
No car is impossible to steal but the more security layers you have the longer it will take for them to drive your car away
My buddy's 993 got stolen from his gated condo garage with a truck. They can be in and out in seconds. I think this is the preferred method for the serious auto thieves. Don't kid yourselves that hidden kill switches and alarms are going to save you.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Will keep my eyes out. Sorry for the loss. There is definitely a organized theft ring targeting 911's around LA.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattyf
My buddy's 993 got stolen from his gated condo garage with a truck. They can be in and out in seconds. I think this is the preferred method for the serious auto thieves. Don't kid yourselves that hidden kill switches and alarms are going to save you.
Yup. They don't drive em away. Don't kid yourself.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Man that sucks.

This is very concerning. I was at the event and did see someone take a picture of my plate. I thought it was a bit weird but the plate is custom so didn't think much about it since I thought he might have found it creative. Not good.

Quick Reply: Stolen 1988 911 in Venice, CA