Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car Almost Stalls During Warming Up Phase

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Almost Stalls During Warming Up Phase

Hi All

Afraid I've got another new owner question - many thanks for your help so far!

My UK 88 Carrera 3.2 Coupe almost stalls when coming to a stop in the initial stages of warming up. Upon dipping the clutch pedal when coming to a stop the revs will fall almost, but not quite, to a complete stall. The car never does stall, but it's rather irritating. I wonder whether it will be much worse as the weather becomes colder.

The car seems fine when warmed up.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the cause might be? The car has covered only 44000 miles and has a fully service history, including a major 12k service only a few weeks ago.

Many thanks.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:19 PM
KP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I guess the car should have been serviced recently, so I am presuming its not a routine service item.
Just guessing here:
1. Check idle setting after the car has warmed up. It should be set at 780 -820rpm. Look under the plastic cover on the left side of the engine compartment for a 3 pole round test socket. Use a piece of wire to bridge between the right upper "B" and centre bottom poles "C" ( this will bypass the idle stabilisation valve). The true idle speed can be confirmed after bypass. Adjust idle if necessary at the screw off the throttle body by a flat screw driver.
2. Remove idle stabilisation valve and clean with brake cleaner or WD40 and retest. Also check whether the valve actually opens during cold start and closes when warm. If it doesnt then the valve is faulty.
3. Tighten and inspect vacuum hoses for looseness, cracks or leaks.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Car Almost Stalls During Warming Up Phase