Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New member with '77 Porsche 911s

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Did you order a COA? Since it has the fenders and SC model name it, one has to think it should have the 3.0 EURO motor. The good one
No i haven't ordered that yet. From what I was able to find about a COA, they arnt always able to get all the information about the history of the car. But once I get a PCA membership I'll order the COA, since you get a $10 discount if you'r a member. lol
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nate2046
Your engine number identifies it as a 2.7L. Your manuals are labeled 911/Carrera 3.0, meaning meant for either model. What I think you have there is a '77 911 that's had Carrera flares added at some point in its life and an SC badge applied. Obviously a Carrera 3.0 is much more valuable, but you didn't think that's what you were buying, I hope. Good news is, it should be a really fun car and since it's already been altered from stock you can do whatever you want with it and not affect the value. Plus that's just an awesome color! Best of luck...
No i didnt think i was buying a carrera 3.0. I thought i was buying a 911 with a 3.0, but then a few things were giving me doubt if it was a 3.0 or 2.7 so that helped bring the price down.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:17 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by race911
Per the spec book, the VIN shows it's a 2.7L ROW car. Engine is a 1976 3.0 NA (also ROW, since that engine was not offered in the US.) Second engine digit of "6" being the critical number. Original engine to the car would have been 637XXXX.

Of course you also just take a look at the material of the crankcase--Mg for 2.7, Al for 3.0.

How did you get this smogged?
thanks for your information, thats what i was getting when i was searching, the engine number was coming back as a '76 3.0 and the vin as a '77 2.7.

whats the best way to check if its mg or al?

Passed smog with plain luck I'd say, took the car into a pop-up smog station like Smog King, since most of the time they have minimum wage employees working there that wont really know what they are looking at. It passed the sniffer test with flying colors and then in regards to the visual the worker asked me some basic question. (i.e. has it been modified(no) and is the engine the original one(yes)) So then he told me that AllData says that the car is required to have a smog pump and an EGR but since he cant see where it would be installed and it doesnt look like anything is missing or has been taken off that im good to go, and good luck next time.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sac_bobkat
thanks for your information, thats what i was getting when i was searching, the engine number was coming back as a '76 3.0 and the vin as a '77 2.7.

whats the best way to check if its mg or al?

Passed smog with plain luck I'd say, took the car into a pop-up smog station like Smog King, since most of the time they have minimum wage employees working there that wont really know what they are looking at. It passed the sniffer test with flying colors and then in regards to the visual the worker asked me some basic question. (i.e. has it been modified(no) and is the engine the original one(yes)) So then he told me that AllData says that the car is required to have a smog pump and an EGR but since he cant see where it would be installed and it doesnt look like anything is missing or has been taken off that im good to go, and good luck next time.

No kidding on the good luck next time--air pump, EGR, and thermal reactors came on the '77 2.7L US (50 state, at that point) cars. But since a 3.0 NA was never offered in the US, who knows. (Catalytic converters didn't show up until '78 on the SC 3.0.)

By listed engine number, you do have a 3.0. Which is aluminum. So no need to crawl under the car, and determine crankcase metalurgy. (And architecturally it's the same as a 930 3.0 in that it has the 2.4/2.7 crankshaft. Great race engine, especially in the old days of Club Racing where a 2.5L turbo caught a huge loophole given to the 944 Turbo.)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 PM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's the benefit of installing turbo tie rods?

Popular placebo plus lightens your wallet for better seat of pants feel and performance.

Cheers,

Joe
87 Carrera
Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stlrj
Popular placebo plus lightens your wallet for better seat of pants feel and performance.

Cheers,

Joe
87 Carrera
Not quite, Joe.

The 930 tie-rods are actually cheaper than the 911 ones and offer a better steering feel as well as outlasting the original OEM ones.

Not a bad deal for the money, I would say.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Carrera3
Intermediate

By the VIN it was a Japanese sold car. Interesting, a 77 SC w/ US Bumperetts & a 2.7 engine.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Hey guys,
Just an update on my progress with the car. It's been under construction for the last few weeks, while waiting on parts and way to many delays from pelicanparts.com set me back. Now waiting on the last box to arrive that has the engine oil and I can finally take the car out for a drive.
-suspension bushings replaced
-shifter bushings and coupler replaced
-transmission fluid replied with SWEPCO
-engine oil will be replaced with SWEPCO
-valves adjusted
-valve covers cleaned up and painted
-valve cover gaskets replaced
-oil sump seal replaced
-oil return tubes replaced (truly sent from the devil) took me 2.5 hours for the first tube until I figured out how to get it done and about 20 minutes each for the rest.
-headlight trim repainted
-door seals replaced
-window seals replaced

Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 PM
17yrsWith930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, great color !!
Great interior !!
Great progress !!
I generally wouldn't get into personal preference items, but I'm glad you painted the headlight trim. To what? Hopefully not black or I just put my foot in my mouth.
Very cool car.
Enjoy the ride !!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 AM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 17yrsWith930
I agree, great color !! Great interior !! Great progress !! I generally wouldn't get into personal preference items, but I'm glad you painted the headlight trim. To what? Hopefully not black or I just put my foot in my mouth. Very cool car. Enjoy the ride !!
thank you sir, and yes I pointed them black. lol The headlight trim was black already but pitted and had rock chips. So I re-sprayed them black again. I couldn't get a matching color to paint them the same as the car.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

So it is a 77 2.7L. But has a 76' 3.0L aluminum engine?

COA would be really interesting on this car.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 AM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
So it is a 77 2.7L. But has a 76' 3.0L aluminum engine? COA would be really interesting on this car.
Yes it's a '77 with a '76 3.0L engine.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats and IMO very cool looking AC 911. Enjoy and welcome to Porche/911 enthusiasts. Less and less completely/mostly stock numbers matching cars so this could be a financial winner if/when you decide to sell.
Enjoy.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it's a '77 with a '76 3.0L engine.
What's the casting number on the case in the photo above? I don't have time to check, but I took a look at my one 930 3.0 case (a '77) I have laying around here, and it's 930.101.103.3R. To my knowledge, all "7R" cases were the final 2.4/2.7 Mg cases.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:33 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by race911
What's the casting number on the case in the photo above? I don't have time to check, but I took a look at my one 930 3.0 case (a '77) I have laying around here, and it's 930.101.103.3R. To my knowledge, all "7R" cases were the final 2.4/2.7 Mg cases.
where would I find the casting number?

Quick Reply: New member with '77 Porsche 911s