Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New member with '77 Porsche 911s

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:08 AM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I was watching this car on ebay! It is a such a cool color. It is an early car euro car and the color combo is amazing!! You did well on this car. I also love that old Benz you had too!!
thanks. it was tough letting go of the benz but it was time for a change.

any suggestions on getting the seats reupholstered? I want to keep the original look and color but have them looking new.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 AM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Jelly bean color. Love the seats. Make sure you have turbo tie rods. Don't listen to anyone that says replace the stock rubber suspension components with anything but stock rubber or Elephant rubber. Unless you are building a race car, rubber is your best choice. Also....go directly to Bilstein Sports.
thanks for the advice, I've ordered replacement bushings and such. how do I know if I have turbo tie rods or regular ones?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sac_bobkat

any suggestions on getting the seats reupholstered? I want to keep the original look and color but have them looking new.
I was wondering what to do about the seats.
They are such an awesome color but not something you can just get from Pelican parts....

I would look for a close match and have them redone. Take your time. But keep the old skins.
I would also install a Momo Prototipo steering wheel.

I also wouldnt feel bad hauling off the stock bumpers and putting them away in favour of installing iroc style bumpers. The car just screams hotrod....

Again, probably the nicest spec SC i have ever seen.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:29 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I was wondering what to do about the seats. They are such an awesome color but not something you can just get from Pelican parts.... I would look for a close match and have them redone. Take your time. But keep the old skins. I would also install a Momo Prototipo steering wheel. I also wouldnt feel bad hauling off the stock bumpers and putting them away in favour of installing iroc style bumpers. The car just screams hotrod.... Again, probably the nicest spec SC i have ever seen.
thanks for the advice, I'm not a fan of the iroc bumpers. If I was to go down that route I'd rather get the 964 bumpers, but that would take away from the originality of the car.
in regards to the seats, the plan for now might be to buy a set of replacement recaros or some other type while i work on getting the originals redone.
A momo steering wheel is towards the bottom of my todo list, mechanical and suspension items are a higher priority.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. Beautiful purchase! Congratulations. If you ever need anything be sure to let me know as I am here to help.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to Rennlist. Beautiful purchase! Congratulations. If you ever need anything be sure to let me know as I am here to help.
Thank you, would you guys like to help with the $700 purchase I made from pelicanparts.com last night? lol

Last edited by sac_bobkat; 12-15-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:10 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you, would you guys like to help with the $700 purchase I made from you guys last night? lol
Appreciate the purchase.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Autos International do good work on Porsche upholstery. They may be able to source OEM materials.... generally, going to a custom upholstery shop vs a kit is your best bet... shop around... lots of good restoration shops in Cali.

I love the look of the plaid inserts... I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:08 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Autos International do good work on Porsche upholstery. They may be able to source OEM materials.... generally, going to a custom upholstery shop vs a kit is your best bet... shop around... lots of good restoration shops in Cali. I love the look of the plaid inserts... I wouldn't change a thing.
I'll be sure to check them out. thanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Default dilemma

So I have a dilemma, I'm trying to figure out if he car is a 911s 2.7L or a Carrera 3.0L. I've tried decoding the vin and also the engine number and yet I'm getting different information. The service records and manuals that came with the car all say Carrera 3.0, the car has the wider rear arches and only a drivers mirror which is electric. The car has no sunroof and has the period correct whale tail that was an option for the Carrera 3.0.

vin - 911 7 300613
engine number - 6662712

Old 12-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me clarify my earlier post. Use rubber bushings when replacing stock rubber bushings. Don't get all fancy with poly/bronze and monoballs. Stock rubber, especially Elephant Racing rubber, is the way to go.

Turbo tierods do not have the rubber isolated end on them. Buy only Lemfoerder.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

So I have a dilemma, I'm trying to figure out if he car is a 911s 2.7L or a Carrera 3.0L. I've tried decoding the vin and also the engine number and yet I'm getting different information. The service records and manuals that came with the car all say Carrera 3.0, the car has the wider rear arches and only a drivers mirror which is electric. The car has no sunroof and has the period correct whale tail that was an option for the Carrera 3.0.

vin - 911 7 300613
engine number - 6662712

Did you order a COA?
Since it has the fenders and SC model name it, one has to think it should have the 3.0 EURO motor. The good one
Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 105 Posts

Your engine number identifies it as a 2.7L. Your manuals are labeled 911/Carrera 3.0, meaning meant for either model. What I think you have there is a '77 911 that's had Carrera flares added at some point in its life and an SC badge applied. Obviously a Carrera 3.0 is much more valuable, but you didn't think that's what you were buying, I hope. Good news is, it should be a really fun car and since it's already been altered from stock you can do whatever you want with it and not affect the value. Plus that's just an awesome color! Best of luck...
Old 12-16-2015, 11:48 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Per the spec book, the VIN shows it's a 2.7L ROW car. Engine is a 1976 3.0 NA (also ROW, since that engine was not offered in the US.) Second engine digit of "6" being the critical number. Original engine to the car would have been 637XXXX.

Of course you also just take a look at the material of the crankcase--Mg for 2.7, Al for 3.0.

How did you get this smogged?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM
sac_bobkat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Let me clarify my earlier post. Use rubber bushings when replacing stock rubber bushings. Don't get all fancy with poly/bronze and monoballs. Stock rubber, especially Elephant Racing rubber, is the way to go. Turbo tierods do not have the rubber isolated end on them. Buy only Lemfoerder.
what's the benefit of installing turbo tie rods?

Quick Reply: New member with '77 Porsche 911s