Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying a SC as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:25 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Buying a SC as a Daily Driver

I'm close to buying a 3.0 as a daily driver. My thought is as it will only get better the older I get and if I take care of her, she'll take care of me. Being in Denver that will mean snows and dealing with marginal heating in the winter and marginal A/C in the summer.

I'm not sure how marginal the A/C and heat will be and how effective snows will be in deep snow.

Any other daily drivers in a northern climate with experience to share?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The heater if set up right should be the best of any car out there. The AC needs updating. I am putting in a third condenser in the system this week, which will hopefully improve things. The previous owner had replaced the ~40 feet of hoses and upgraded the evaporator.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:55 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

What are the best snow tires? Do you need to put weight in the frunk for the winter?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

A/C can be made to work just fine, car should do fine on good snow tires but as an only car for 4 season use they leave a lot to be desired IMHO. First items I'd be concerned about is safety - no air bags no ABS. These are really great vintage summer/weekend cars - as four season DD I'd have to think real hard about that- I'd recommend a 964 C4 instead.

Phil
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
A/C can be made to work just fine, car should do fine on good snow tires but as an only car for 4 season use they leave a lot to be desired IMHO. First items I'd be concerned about is safety - no air bags no ABS. These are really great vintage summer/weekend cars - as four season DD I'd have to think real hard about that- I'd recommend a 964 C4 instead.

Phil
+1 to that. I've been daily driving my '87 Carrera for 6 years in California and there are times when even I question whether that makes sense. Like when it's pouring rain and the marginal HVAC system won't clear the fog from my windows. Or when I'm surrounded by trucks on the freeway and I realize I have no modern safety features of any kind backing me up.

These are great, classic cars and a blast to own and drive, but they really don't make the best DDs. I personally would think twice about driving one in winter conditions.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

I like the 3.2 964's but as a daily, they have just become too expensive to put the miles on. Years ago I had a '86 BMW 528, that I drove year round. I'm expecting too much to think the SC will be as adaptive?

I was debating getting rid of the SUV and daily driving the SC and just driving the 993tt on really good days.

Fogging up in the rain is a hassle.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:23 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Fogging up in the rain is a hassle.
Admittedly my AC is barely functional. If the AC in your car was in good working condition then this might be less of an issue.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Soup
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I used to daily my SC and don't have many complaints. The CIS if running properly is quite reliable. The stock heater blower is marginal at best but after the heater backdate, I actually have to push the levers down for less heat.

Can't speak for A/C, windows and sunroof were my hot day saviours...
Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

DD an '84 3.2 for over a decade.

A/C non existant. Heat marginal. But put a good set of snow tires on it and it will kick through 6" of snow with no problem.

Hot, uncomfortable, and in traffic (DC Beltway for 1.5 hours) will tax your left leg.

Frankly, I'd just put the 911 in a garage and buy a used Hundai, but it's your money.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:53 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For 2 years my '86 Carrera was my only car in Denver. It was great, and as practical as I needed it to be. Nothing ever failed and it started and ran as reliably as a new car. Put a full set of snow tires on it and it will go like a tractor in a blizzard. Not only that, but going around corners in a slow, 4 wheel drift on fresh hardpack is more fun than a dry road can offer. I used to take it out in snowstorms just for fun!

You don't really need A/C very often in Denver. Mainly just in July/August during the middle of the day. I've been driving 3.2's in Denver for 12 years and none of them had working A/C.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:06 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually, from what tons of posters indicate, you will grow less tolerant of the lack of creature comforts as you get older. Older people want to be comfortable.
Some days, I'm just not in the mood to drive "engaged". Most says, I want my automatic and my podcasts.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to cringe whenever I read this phrase but it's the first thing that came to my mind when I read the first post and seems to fit perfectly: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" -- for all the reasons mentioned above.

Get the SC but also buy a beater daily driver.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by kreeshp
I used to cringe whenever I read this phrase but it's the first thing that came to my mind when I read the first post and seems to fit perfectly: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" -- for all the reasons mentioned above.

Get the SC but also buy a beater daily driver.
I really don't understand this. I think a "daily driver" has a very different meaning for different people. I for one, don't even commute daily as I work from home. Most of my driving entails taking the kids to school, picking them up driving 20 miles occasionally to get to a somewhat metropolitan area. So I purchased a daily driver SC to enjoy my time in a Porsche. My 993TT is a fantastic machine, but I can't enjoy it when I want do to weather, insurance limitations, value etc...

So why can't I drive an SC "just because I can". I can and I will. I do have 6 other cars so I'm not stuck driving the SC but I want to it's fun.

Johnny
Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
I really don't understand this. I think a "daily driver" has a very different meaning for different people. I for one, don't even commute daily as I work from home. Most of my driving entails taking the kids to school, picking them up driving 20 miles occasionally to get to a somewhat metropolitan area. So I purchased a daily driver SC to enjoy my time in a Porsche. My 993TT is a fantastic machine, but I can't enjoy it when I want do to weather, insurance limitations, value etc...

So why can't I drive an SC "just because I can". I can and I will. I do have 6 other cars so I'm not stuck driving the SC but I want to it's fun.

Johnny
Put it this way: why don't you subject your 993TT to the rigors of errand running and grocery-getting?

To those of us who are less privileged and don't have 6 other cars in their stable, "our" 993TT is an SC.

Sorry if you can't relate to those of us who don't have seven cars in their stable., or have to commute daily to make a living.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

I understand your point. I'm very lucky to be in my position. But that was my point, for some an SC can be a daily driver.

I typically drive a '04 Accord so my two Porsche's are very special to me. I didn't try to be arrogant but we all have different situations. An SC could be a great daily driver, but my little experience with the 915 gearbox tells me I would not like to be in too much stop and go traffic.

Enjoy your SC. It is a special vehicle.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC as a Daily Driver