Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 05:21 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 1

I know this is not related to Porsche but you guys might find it interesting. Some guys find F! boring but I love it. What would you say to a change in qualifying that would mix up the grid? All cars would qualify just like now. At the end of the session the drivers would draw lots for grid position. This could potentially put a Minardi on the pole and some of the faster cars in the back. Would this make for a more exciting race or not? Instead of the polesitter just moving off in the distance and leading a parade all cars would have to fight for position. Whatever the starting position they still have to set up the cars and the faster car would still have the prestige of being fastest.Wouldn't you like to see Montoya come from 15th or Schumacher charge from 12th and have to pass Kimi in 6th? Would it be unfair or dangerous? What do you think? I'm just curious
Old 09-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you'll ever see that (I wouldn't vote for it). Why risk qualifying well if starting position would be decided by pure chance? But you're right about F1 being boring in terms of the rarity in which the fastest cars/drivers battle for the front positions on the track rather than in the pits. The start and first lap are often exciting, however. Qualifying is about as exciting as the rest of the race due to the importance of starting up front and getting through the first turn up front. Too bad the racing isn't as exciting as the cars are. I don't know what a good solution might be, but they haven't found it yet. I wouldn't vote for some "equalizing" device such as restrictor plates in Winston Cup either.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
A4_Pilot
AutoX

I agree. An equalizing device would make the parade more of a parade (no opportunities for the more powerful cars to get by on the track).

I think that Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely have spent so much time creating "safe" tracks, that there are no longer any opportunities for exciting passing maneuvers. Better designed and wider tracks would help. It would be nice to see 3 cars abreast going into a corner.

I know that Formula 1 is all about technology -- but I'd like to see more mechanical technology and driver skill replacing electronics. A move away from paddle-shifts, ABS etc would bring the opportunity of a missed shift and driver skill back to the forefront.

Just my $0.02. I wish I was Bernie Ecclestone...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
dial911
Instructor

You have to watch some 20 year old F-1 film footage, to realize just how utterly boring F-1 is today.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:20 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My observation in sport is that excellence should always be rewarded. That is the only way. Take 'luck of the draw' out and replace it with skill!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:37 AM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1 is kinda boring to watch, but not to follow. For me it is a battle not just of drivers, but of corporate titans with virtually unlimited budgets. Remember that the top teams have hundreds of people working full time on racing cars!

The cool thing, for me, is the ridiculous excess of the sport. I remember being blown away by the teams fabricating titanium tools to help with the overall transport weight!

I think it is a mistake to limit technology, but it should be possible to design tracks where more passing is possible.

Just my $.02,

David
Old 10-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The race this weekend in Indy was the most exiting to watch live in the past four years. The entire turn one grandstand stood for the first two thirds of the race. Just add a little water after the start and the race proves to be more exciting. Granted Schuey still finished way ahead of KR, but there were some very exciting moments.

I will admit that it is not British Touring Car race though.

Noel

Quick Reply: Formula 1