Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Suffering seller's remorse

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:03 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Suffering seller's remorse

I don't expect to find a whole lot of sympathy here but...

I have a buyer lined up for my car. We are set to meet Thur. or Fri. to close the deal. I thought through the whole idea of selling the car and I thought I was ready. I figured it would be a little tough...but not this tough. The plan is/was to replace it with a Boxster S in the Spring (or possibly a Lotus Esprit or 993, if I can swing it). Now, I'm not certain that I'm ready to part with it. I already have seller's remorse and I haven't even parted with it yet. Am I nuts? Will I be as happy with a Boxster S (or another car)? I lived with a Boxster S for a couple weeks and it was a ton of fun. What if I back out of the deal? Has anybody been in a similar situation? Maybe I should've come here looking for biased opinions a little sooner...

Last edited by J-RAD; 10-01-2003 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,979 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Tell me about your current car and I'll let you know how it compares to the others if I can...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:16 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

See my sig...

Other general info: SSI heat exchangers, Bursh exhaust (sounds great...who needs a stereo?), front radiator style oil cooler, suspension set-up for aggressive street/track. Good...not great...overall condition. Can always use some upgrading/refurbishing...but it doesn't need anything. It's not the fastest car around but it sure is probably one of the funnest.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 PM
jim912928
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...look at it this way...you had fun with your 911, try out other models...experience more...then settle for the one you want to dive into. Now that is fun! But, you might end up like me owning 3 of these german babies (i have a front engine, rear engine and mid-engine....hope they don't come up with another configuration!)!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:51 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are making a big mistake. I always get the new vehicle first, then sell the other one(s) from the stable. Usually there is enough $ around that isn't car $ but can be 'borrowed' for a few weeks until it is replenished after the sale.

The danger with selling something first and then getting the new deal is, that you may have a financial bottle neck and you'll have to buy a toyota in spring. Or to do a comparison to the dating world: It is a lot easier to part with your old girlfriend if you have the new one already lined up.

Cheers, George

PS: You didn't say you were considering a LOTUS? My vote goes to a clean carrera (87-89) or a 993. Boxters are nice and good performers but they are for yuppies and dentist's wifes. <ducking>
Old 10-01-2003, 03:04 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you see a clean 993 in your garage, you won't even remember what color your SC was. Move on and good luck.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my SC to buy a Boxster. Truthfully, I don't miss the SC much. The Boxster handles better, brakes better, has a much nicer interior and creature comforts, and is less maintenance intensive (none so far).

Part of the reason that I sold the SC, however, is that it was not the 911 that I really wanted. I really like the looks of the old long-hood cars, and if I ever buy another 911, that's what I would get. If I had a long-hood and had to trade it for a Boxster, that would have been a tougher deicision.

The best way to decide is a hypothetical. Suppose your SC blew the engine and it would cost $5,000 to fix. Would you wince at the $5,000? If not, then the SC is the car for you. If you couldn't imagine spending another $5,000 on the SC, it's time to sell it. That's what I used to decide - when I loved the SC, I had no problem at all spending money on it. As time went by, I was less and less inclined to spend money on it because I began to think it was not a long-term car.

I'd say go for the Boxster - it's a great time to buy them.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like JimH's perspective...and I've lived that a bit over the past 5 years. I've owned (not at the same time) two 3.2 911s, two early 911s (still own the '72), and two Boxsters (one is my current daily driver). I've loved them all and hated selling them, but was necessary to move onto something different. I hope in the future I get to enjoy a nice 928, a newer 911, and maybe even a 914-6. But from here on out it will be additions, not trades.

Quick Reply: Suffering seller's remorse