Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Strange vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Strange vibration

I'm getting a strange vibration sound from the rear, only at a certain rpm in 1st, or maybe it's just most noticeable at that time. If I run through first normally into second, all sounds normal. It's when I linger in first between 3k - 5k rpms, I am hearing it. Any ideas??
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheel bearings come to mind.

When I'm just coasting down the road mine make a tad bit of noise. Makes me glad I've fabricated a puller and press that get the job done super fast. Tried it out on Odurandina's 968 / LS7 a few months ago. Will not be long until I do my own.

Or it could be your shifter linkage, but I think that is only on the G50 cars.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Wheel bearings come to mind.

When I'm just coasting down the road mine make a tad bit of noise. Makes me glad I've fabricated a puller and press that get the job done super fast. Tried it out on Odurandina's 968 / LS7 a few months ago. Will not be long until I do my own.

Or it could be your shifter linkage, but I think that is only on the G50 cars.
If it was wheels, then I think it would always make noise, no? It's just noticeable at a certain rpm in 1st.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All depends on the load you are putting on them. That's why sometimes failing bearings only make noise when you are turning.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:55 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I actually found this thread on another forum, which more accurately describes what I'm hearing. This make sense given a 915 tranny? I've read the G50 differs in the linkage or something to that extent. Here's the quote

"mine has just developed a 'whine' in 3rd - it sounded more like holding a coin against a spinning disc brake/flywheel thingy as it turned (ie it was a metalic grindy/scorey noise) but it was only in 3rd, not 2nd or 4th ? Turned out to be a perished bush/washer thingy (im so technical!) in gear shaft linkage, making the shaft press rub against the tunnel side" end quote

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 11-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also maybe gears in the trans have some tolerance slop? If you're coasting with no real load on them they might rattle, though that sort of thing crops up more at low rpm.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
Also maybe gears in the trans have some tolerance slop? If you're coasting with no real load on them they might rattle, though that sort of thing crops up more at low rpm.
I really only hear the noise under load, which is in lingering in the powerband in first, like between 3-5k. Mechanic / owner of shop is going to "live" w/ car for this week. He's going to take it to and from home / work and try to pinpoint this noise and also the idling issue I've been having.

Quick Reply: Strange vibration