Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

faded Targa bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:55 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default faded Targa bar

I'll be painting my Targa bar soon but for now I just want it to look a littkle darker. I read somewhere that Vasoline will do the trick temporarily. Has anyone here actually tried this? Was it petroleum jelly or the hand stuff? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:19 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just gave this advice to somebody regarding their Fuchs, but it might work on the Targa bar as well:
When I first got my 911, the black parts of the Fuchs were a bit dull and oxidized. I used a light (clear coat safe) polishing compound and finished with a coat of Blitz carnuba wax, and it made the wheels look brand new.
-Sean
Old 09-25-2003, 05:46 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, Sean.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:42 PM
MadHungarian
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mothers "Back-to-Black" x 3 (depending on how bad it is) will work wonders.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:44 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I had mixed results with Mothers on my '85 Targa bar - it ended up looking gray, rather than black.

I resprayed mine while it was on the car - not quite as clean as taking it off, but a pretty credible job, if I say so myself. There's a tech article either here or on Pelican about respraying. Its really a matter of preparation, taping off the targa bar and covering everything else up so it doesn't get any overspray.

If you do use Mothers or anything else and then decide to spray your targa bar, be sure to wipe down the bar with mineral spirits to take off whatever is on it (other than paint) so you have a good surface on which to spray. I wiped mine down with mineral spirits, then 'sanded' it with a 3M maroon pad, then wiped it down again with mineral spirits before spraying.

oh, and once you've sprayed it, wait about a month, then put a good wax on it to protect it.

good luck!

Quick Reply: faded Targa bar