Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another G50 post

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another G50 post

Ok so I think I've read all the G50 posts for the last year about the gear rattle. My trans (87 G50-01)has recently started making more noise than I'd like as well as 2 times dropping down into 2nd where it it didn't want to go into gear easily. Now that could've been cold trans or maybe pedal not all the way down but it has never done it the previous 2 years. Anyway I'm not exactly what the gear rattle noise is that people describe but here's what mine does. Scenario 1. Driving down the road and get to the point where you are just tapping the throttle on and off and it's clattering and banging. Feels like it's almost sloppy in the trans. Scenario 2. Coming up to a turn in 3rd or 4th and I down shift into 2nd. When I let the clutch out it feels like it's clattering back and forth. Sitting at idle in neutral is sounds kinda rough as well. I have a Kennedy solid flywheel, new Kennedy pressure plate and clutch. All the updated trans pieces have been done with a new slave. Prolly 5000 miles on those parts. Kennedy replaced my pressure plate recently for some fingers that cracked and sent it back with the old throw out bearing. It didn't spin that great but they said it was fine. I can see that being the issue at idle but not the trans clatter. does this sound like classic G50 clatter? Thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Paulnsx
AutoX

I doubt this helps you directly but I recently picked up an 88 coupe (G50) and did a trans flush to Redline 75W-90 NS and it helped the shift feel a lot (esp when cold). I am going to be replacing the shiftier bushing soon.

Here's a link to an old thread I found recently - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...50-rattle.html
Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Yeah I think I'm going to switch fluids and was thinking about the redline based on some threads I've read.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Another good fluid for this gearbox is the Mobil Delvac 75W90. I've found it at Lufteknik

When changing to this fluid, shifting improved immensely.

Quick Reply: Another G50 post