Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Better Outside Car Cover Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 241 Posts
Default A Better Outside Car Cover Please

Been using the factory cover for my 88 that sadly is outside for the last several years. The Porsche cover is fabric and it stays damp, doesn't fit tightly, and takes a while to dry. The newer Porsche covers are awesome for the 987/991 and vent the moisture nicely and look great.

Anyone using a non-Porsche cover that is not fabric and having good results?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used a Covercraft Weathershield HP for my 951 and Tacoma pickup. They are excellent covers and fit perfectly. Both cars were stored outdoors year round. The 951 cover is about 4-5 years old and has been in use 6-7 months out of the year since. Its still in great shape though the elastic band on the bottom is shot. I have washed it a number of times also. The cover fits so well the elastic is really only needed if its very windy out, i just use two bungee cords front and rear with tarp clips to keep it secured.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:33 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Older Noah covers are 3-4 ply materials. They are bulky and break apart after 4-5 years.

Single ply materials include silver guard and more advanced water proof materials like weather shield. These are less bulky so easier to put on and off. They take less space in trunk too when not being used. Silver guard looks great and costs around $175. The other materials range from $275-475 depending on water proofing and softness. The softer material usually means the weave itself is waterproof, rather than depending on a coating.

I recommend cover King, cover craft and California car covers. These 3 brands are great.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:51 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Will never buy a Cover King Custom Tri Guard custom cover ever again, at least not for outdoor use. Used one on our Prius that we keep outside and the cover turned into a dust bomb sponge even after multiple washes. Sticking with their soft indoor covers (our 911) or their Silverguard series for outdoor use.

Last edited by oalvarez; 11-01-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't recommend car covers, unless to shield from the sun. They keep too much humidity under the car and may even cause fogging of your paint.
I only use a cotton dust cover inside the garage, but not outside.
If it is a Cab, buy a cover that only covers the the top and windows. They attach to the door handles
Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rstarga
I don't recommend car covers, unless to shield from the sun. They keep too much humidity under the car and may even cause fogging of your paint.
I only use a cotton dust cover inside the garage, but not outside.
If it is a Cab, buy a cover that only covers the the top and windows. They attach to the door handles
So a full car cover inside the garage is ok?

Quick Reply: A Better Outside Car Cover Please