Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 swapped 911sc

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:57 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 3.2 swapped 911sc

Looking at a sc with a 3.2 swap. How much does this affect value?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

This is a great question and has come up a lot in my own personal circles lately. I personally think it adds value, but I am sure the great many would disagree.
I have a buddy with an SC 3.2 with a Steve Wong chip and thing just hauls *** compared to my stock 3 litre. granted he has racing suspension and I cant even stay with him on the curves, but his was dome properly and is very nice. I have seen others for sale to that look very well done.

Other than the numbers matching thing I really cant see a big difference between an SC with a 3.2 and an 84 Carrera for example. Maybe the Carrera has better brakes ?

I would certainly not expect to pay LESS for it than a 3.0 litre SC , but I have been wrong before ( more often than not actually )
Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
This is a great question and has come up a lot in my own personal circles lately. I personally think it adds value, but I am sure the great many would disagree.
I have a buddy with an SC 3.2 with a Steve Wong chip and thing just hauls *** compared to my stock 3 litre. granted he has racing suspension and I cant even stay with him on the curves, but his was dome properly and is very nice. I have seen others for sale to that look very well done.

Other than the numbers matching thing I really cant see a big difference between an SC with a 3.2 and an 84 Carrera for example. Maybe the Carrera has better brakes ?

I would certainly not expect to pay LESS for it than a 3.0 litre SC , but I have been wrong before ( more often than not actually )
Thank you for your input. I was also thinking it shouldn't hurt the value to much if at all.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

That’s a bit of a subjective question. IMO the bone stock car would be the top of the pecking order in terms of price. Once you start changing things the value depends on what’s changed (major or minor). Once you start swapping major components then it’s all about the right buyer. Personally I agree the 3.2 in the SC would be a fun car. I don’t care about 100% originality because I am going to make some changes to any car.

I end it whether or not its worth more or less depends on the car or cars you compare it to. If it’s a driver with a nice 3.2 for me it’s worth a bit more than a similar driver with the 3.0. If you’re comparing it to a bone stock all original car with collector appeal then the 3.2 is probably worth less.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I think it depends on the rest of the car.

Let's say it's a pristine, low mileage (say 50k) car, with all stock except for the engine, fully documented, etc. - an absolute peach, let's call it condition "upper 2". In that case, I could see the non-period correct engine leading the car trading quite a bit cheaper than a comparable numbers matching car. How much? Let's say if the numbers matching SC is $50k, then the 3.2 SC might be in the 40s.

If it's a "driver quality" car, with 6/10 paint, decent interior but nothing to write home about, looks good at inspection but no history beyond the current owner, etc. - let's call it a lower 3 condition. I could see the 3.2 engine leading the car to trade flat to maybe a little higher than a period-correct comparable SC. So if the benchmark is a 25k targa, the the same car with a 3.2 could be 25k to 28k, or something like that.

Quick Reply: 3.2 swapped 911sc