Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Make an RS Clone out of an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Make an RS Clone out of an SC?

I have an 83 SC sunroof coupe that it tired. LF fender has been replaced, gaps are poor. Needs a repaint. Some trim oxidized and rough. Solid body. Stock seats are recovered, well done, but brown. Not my favorite color. rest of interior and carpet is worn. Door pockets are shot. Cracked dash. Tach and speedo need rework. Sunroof wind deflector parts are missing. Has an RSR tail, not my favorite. Engine and gearbox are OK, high mileage. door mirrors don't work anymore. AC is shot. Other than fender, body is straight and unmolested. Most everything else works.

I am thinking about turning it into a 73 RS clone because most everything I need to fix/replace would come off to make a clone. I like the long hood better. Would like to make a car eligible for rally and Vintage racing. I don't think and SC is ever going to bring what an '84 to 88 Carrera would so restoring to SC trim seems a waste.

The last thread I have seen on Rennlist goes back to early "14.

in the last few months I have seen Clones listed for $50 to $80K.

Any thoughts and recommendations? Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Personally not a big fan of "sheep in wolf's clothing" cars, and I certainly wouldn't pay 80k for one, but that's just me.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, good comment. I should have explained that I would make the motor suitable for the set-up. Not sure what the Vintage rules are on displacement, etc. I plan on lightweight clutch, flywheel, etc. I drove a clone a few weeks ago and it was a rocket. Much faster than my stock SC.

I was hoping to connect with some folks who have done one to save me some pain on the journey.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't pay that for one either but if I already owned the donor car and could make the clone for a reasonable price it sure would be fun to drive. That's just me.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:14 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't do it for the money, I'd do it for the look, and for the fun!

I would with 100% certainty do it

Jase.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

They are only original once. I left similar comments in another thread. Go look at mid sixties C2 Corvettes and the ones that got "customized" think fender flares etc, trade way below stock cars. So you spend money to lose money.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbacon
OK, good comment. I should have explained that I would make the motor suitable for the set-up. Not sure what the Vintage rules are on displacement, etc. I plan on lightweight clutch, flywheel, etc. I drove a clone a few weeks ago and it was a rocket. Much faster than my stock SC.

I was hoping to connect with some folks who have done one to save me some pain on the journey.
Hot rod with weight reduction sounds like fun. There was one for sale on ebay recently with a carburated engine built by Rudtner, it looked very badass.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fooling yourself if you think you'll come out with positive equity on the finished product. My cousin just did over my old '74 into an RSR body, and the only thing he didn't do was absolute finish panel work and paint it. He's into that steel wide body (that I did in '97)-to-carbon RSR body for about $20K alone. And the car already has a 3.6/Euro 915/suspension/930 brakes. Add in the ultra wide wheel set and interior, and he'll have blown past $50K with a cost basis a decade ago of $15K.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM
puddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't the Impact Bumper cars heavier than Long hoods? I think I'd rather buy an RS tribute that was built using a long hood, mostly for the weight savings.

In my opinion, an IB car with carrera side script, polished fuchs and a ducktail is a badass looking car. I'd probably go for that look before changing bumpers and fenders.

Whatever you decide have fun!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The SC market is gaining strength.
They are worth restoring now IMO.
Some folks are making them into PCA race cars. And really nice ones at that.

I wouldnt bother converting it to a long hood IMO.
I have seen impact bumper cars converted to 73RS clones on ebay with reserves not met over and over again. Hard sell really.

Personally, I would do a SC hot rod. Delete the impact bumpers, ditch the rockers, expose the oil lines externally, give it new carpet, custom door panels, trick suspension, good exhaust and shifter.
Polish the window trim and paint the Fuchs RS style.

One of my favorites: (which i always use as the benchmark SC hot rod)
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 12:02 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by puddy
Aren't the Impact Bumper cars heavier than Long hoods? I think I'd rather buy an RS tribute that was built using a long hood, mostly for the weight savings.
No. On relatively equal cars, anyway. Check out what a '73 T coupe weighs v. a '74 whatever. Mg components for Mg components. I ran my '73S just under 2400 lbs. The car it replaced, an SC that had AC? Right at 2550--adding in the Al case/heavier crank + Al trans case + AC + oh-so-heavier wheel/tire combo.

Besides, where are you going to notice even 200 lbs. in street driving? Our lap record holders/race winners in Spec 911 have to carry up to 150 lbs. trophy weight. They still win, and run almost within the rounding error of their records.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Some folks are making them into PCA race cars
Fewer by the year. Club Racing was pretty much populated with them in the Stock and Prepared classes when things got up and running in '92.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbacon
I have an 83 SC sunroof coupe that it tired. LF fender has been replaced, gaps are poor. Needs a repaint. Some trim oxidized and rough. Solid body. Stock seats are recovered, well done, but brown. Not my favorite color. rest of interior and carpet is worn. Door pockets are shot. Cracked dash. Tach and speedo need rework. Sunroof wind deflector parts are missing. Has an RSR tail, not my favorite. Engine and gearbox are OK, high mileage. door mirrors don't work anymore. AC is shot. Other than fender, body is straight and unmolested. Most everything else works.

I am thinking about turning it into a 73 RS clone because most everything I need to fix/replace would come off to make a clone. I like the long hood better. Would like to make a car eligible for rally and Vintage racing. I don't think and SC is ever going to bring what an '84 to 88 Carrera would so restoring to SC trim seems a waste.

The last thread I have seen on Rennlist goes back to early "14.

in the last few months I have seen Clones listed for $50 to $80K.

Any thoughts and recommendations? Thanks
If you are going to race it I wouldn't spend much on making it pretty. It will be trashed cosmetically after just a few race weekends. It is always cheaper to buy someone else's race car unless you're going to do all of the work yourself. They routinely sell for pennies on the dollar to what was put into them.

I have to disagree on SCs not being worth very much. A good running SC restored to stock condition will bring a nice price but I can't tell if you're looking to sell this car or keep it and drive it. The RS clones I've seen that have sold for a lot of money have also had a ton of work and money put into them. Fancy carbed motors, center fill, vintage seats, all steel body work, etc. If the car is for you to drive and enjoy then do whatever you want to it but if you are intending to sell then I would restore to stock condition.

FWIW every 911 I've bought since my first one in 2004 is now worth about twice what I originally paid for it except my current Carrera which I've only had a few months. 911s are appreciating.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Fewer by the year. Club Racing was pretty much populated with them in the Stock and Prepared classes when things got up and running in '92.
Yes and the few I know of that are still racing these cars know that when they total them they will never be able to race another one. They bought/built them when you could find a good donor for $12-$15K and once they're gone they'll be moving to Cayman/Boxster.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The market for clones ( I really hate the word tribute) has gotten very soft.

If you have a really rough SC why not do an SC hot rod?

As far as racing don't even think about unless you have a huge bank account. Did you go to Rennsport? That was an unreal display of wealth.

Richard Newton
Originality

Quick Reply: Make an RS Clone out of an SC?