1986 VDO Odometer Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 1986 VDO Odometer Repair

Folks,

After 204000+ miles the odometer on my speedo finally went south. I used Dempsey's 101 projects book to get it apart (as Wayne says, slow carefull work is the key) and am now in somewhat uncharted territory as this is a newer speedo than the one used in the 101 Projects example.

It's an all electronic 1986 160MPH VDO. The problem appears to be the caramel colored odometer drive wheel which is driven by a white plastic worm gear that appears to be attached to an electric motor.

The caramel colored wheel seems to have gotten soft, and teeth have come off of it. The Odo's digit assembly seems to rotate freely so the wheel just seems to have gone bad. I'ts 'mushy' and easily deformed. The wheel seems to be held on with a snap ring so it appears replacement could be easy if the wheel could be found.

Has anyone had experience reparing one of these model VDO's? I'm interested in what make/model/year car you found provided a suitible donor speedo. As Wayne suggests, it's probably best to get a few of them to make sure you get at least one good replacement wheel.

Barry
Old 09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Perkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do yourself a favor, package and mail the entire speedo to North Hollywood Speedometer in CA. They advertise in Panorama. They'll do a fantastic job of fixing the gear as well as giving you a new bezel ring (which you've probably mangled already). I think my total was about $115 and you'll have it back in about a week. Certainly worth every penny and you can spend your time on better projects. Best of luck.

Maurice Perkins
1980 SC Coupe
Old 09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maurice,

Thanks for the response. Prior to reading it, I'd just gotten off the phone with North Hollywood Speedometer and I must say they seem like the best option. I did manage to disassemble the gauge without tearing up the bezel ring (thanks to Wayne's cautions) but I'm not sure I could recommend the procedure to others.

It really does require an extremely patient approach that, afterwards, may only get you into something that is best handled by the experts anyway.

Wayne DID get me in (and out - it's back in the car because I need the speedo function, which still works) and I learned something about the speedo/odo unit first hand. It also allowed me to intelligently discuss the problem with the North Hollywood guys. At this point I'll fold and let the 'pros' handle it!

Thanks again for the level headed advice. Some repairs you just have to leave to the folks who know best but sometimes you can get out of it if you're confident enough, have the ability and can take responsibility for your own actions - and that's where Wayne's book comes in!

Have to go now, I'm off to North Hollywood (Hollis Wood? ;-) )!

Barry
Old 09-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Perkins
Advanced

Barry, i've been there too. I took my speedo apart and followed Wayne's suggestions - the plastic worm gear had broken. I gave up and called North Hollywood. Didn't even have a chance to explain - they've done thousands of these..

best of luck, i think you'll be pleased.

Maurice Perkins
1980 SC Coupe
Old 09-27-2003, 10:11 PM
flt six
4th Gear

Default odometer gear

odometergear.com can supply the gear for $25.00. Just make sure to get the correct gear, KPH vs MPH. It's an easy fix.

Vince
Old 09-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing to add here...other than to say that Im amazed that there is a website called "odometergear.com".

Old 09-28-2003, 07:05 AM
jester911
Drifting

No big thing but the link is odometergears.com with an s at the end of gear
I wish these guys were around when mine broke and I even opened the speedo but I couldn't find the gear. I ended up spending 100 bucks at a speedo shop.

Quick Reply: 1986 VDO Odometer Repair