R Compound tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Porschedave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question R Compound tires

Hi Folks

I have a 3.0 L '77 911. I have just changed my 15 x 6 Yokohama 205/60 AVS DB tires for 16 x 6 205/55 Yoko A032R. The up-coming DE event will be the first time that I have driven on R compound tires. Any have any advice on tire pressures? Also, any comments on what will be different about driving on these tires compared to my street tires? Thanks.

Dave
Old 09-27-2003, 03:19 AM
RS'd '73S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Mission?
The R compounds don't give you as much slip angle before letting go. What that translates to is the feeling you don't get as much warning but if you are feeling the car through your butt there is still the reduction in lateral G's at that critical point, just like the street tires.

BTW, the 032's are too great in the rain so be careful
Old 09-27-2003, 04:19 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The conventional wisdom is that Hoosiers and most track tires do best at about 40 psi hot (although chalk and a pyrometer provide the most important wisdom). Yokohama A032R's are diffent. You want to start very low -- I use 23/25 cold, and then I bleed them down to 25/29 hot. They start to go away above 30 psi.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:49 AM
quicksilver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One interesting bit that I discovered with the A032s is, with the additional ability to load the suspension you are able to push the suspension into deflections that you haven't seen before. My car went from "The rear end seems to be kind of happy" to "Houston, we have a problem. Why am I going completely sideways?"

It really pointed out the problems with the suspension. I talked it over with my alignment guy and we ended up dialing in a lot more rear camber.

After driving the A032s I tried a set of AVS Sports and I spent so much time sliding around that I wore them out in the same length of time as the A032s.

Also if you listen there are a couple speeds that you can use your ear to keep the car within a 1 mph range. 57 to 58 mph is one. I love the way they sing. (and to everybody who complains about the noise... How much did you pay for that loud assed muffler? Go buy a Camry!)

Fun, fun, fun...

Wayne

Quick Reply: R Compound tires