Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:49 PM
RichKenny
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Replacement

Does anyone have any idea as to how much it will cost me to replace my clutch and possibly the flywheel?

I've only got 123k miles on my 86 3.2 with a 915 tranny. Any upgrade suggestions or should I go with the factory spec clutch and flywheel ?

I seem to be experiencing a little slipping in first and second and have virtually no neck snapping like we all know it should...

Thanks,
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Pcar.JPG

Last edited by RichKenny; 09-25-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:29 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there are no posts yet, let me try:

There is a sachs hd clutch, if I am not misinformed. I'd get that instead of the pain OEM.

No idea on labor cost but expect it to be a bunch because the engine / trans have to come out! The clutch you can look up online to see what you'd have to expect in parts. But I think parts are about $500 if you use the upgraded / good stuff.

I have a receipt in my stack (prev. owner). Some oil lines, two axles and other small bits were replaced while they were in there. $3500.

George
Old 09-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my clutch in my prior 911, a 1986 3.2, go out at about 110,000 miles. It failed while in storage, believe it or not, from sitting over the winter. My trusted dealer mechanic put in an OEM 'sport' clutch. The clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing job was about $1500.

Not sure what the major difference between this so called 'sport' clutch was and a 'regular' clutch was, but after my mechanic was done, the difference was incredible. The clutch felt a bit lighter and much easier and smoother to throw in and out.

My mechanic (Porsche Master Tech with over 25 years of experience on 911's) claimed they would buy the regular clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing package, re-sell the unused regular clutch and substitute it with this 'sport' clutch. I trusted him and the job was well worth the $1500 (though I had no choice!).

I also replaced the starter, engine sound pad, oil pressure sender and a few other minor preventative maintenance items while the motor and trans was out. I believe my entire bill was around $1800 at that time (Spring 2000) not including the rebuilt starter I got from a mail order house. The car felt absolutely great when I got it back.

Not sure if this helps...

Jay
90 964
Old 09-25-2003, 01:55 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

How's your sense of adventure? If you are 1. reasonably mechanically proficient 2. a member of your local PCA, would you consider tackling the job with a knowledgable PCA member guiding you along? First buy Dempsey's '101 Projects' book and consult Project #8; then get yourself a Vertex catalogue, and piece together what you'll need. IF you can get the help of a local PCA member (and the true enthusiasts always seem ready to help out us newbies),the result is you'll save a LOT of $'s and come away with a better appreciation/understanding of what makes your P-car run.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement