Electronic Ignition Upgrade on 77 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:10 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Ignition Upgrade on 77 Carrera

Hi Guys,

I just did some work on my distributor and have decided to take the plunge and get rid of the rotor.

I am primarily interested in an electronic ignition unit that is programmable via the com port of a lap top, so I can tweak it and get data from it. We're checking into Pertronix, all the usual suspects to see who is going to be the best fit.

I'd like to hear from those who have done this, or from people who have decided against it. What did you gain or lose from making the shift, and was it really worth it? Major or minor difference in performance?

Rob
Old 09-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Rob:

The only programmable stand-alone ignitions I know of are either the MSD DIS-6 w/MSD-6 and coil or the distributor-less Electromotive units.

I would first tell you that without putting your car on a load-type chassis dyno, mapping the ignition advance curve in these engines is full of pitfalls and the consequences can be VERY expensive. Air-cooled engines are not forgiving.

Your stock ignition system is very well done and the only real improvements would come from installing an MSD-6 (with matching MSD coil) to take advantage of the gains from wide plug gaps.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

Rob, last winter I installed a Pertronix II system plus an MSD-6A and MSD Coil, all per Steve Weiner's recommendation, in my '76 911S (stock 2.7). I am very happy with the results; nothing dramatic, but very smooth idle even when cold, pulls strong to redline. Speaking of redline, I also installed an MSD switchable redline cutoff. Got rid of the points with the Pertronix. All parts available on e-Bay or Jeg's. Also installed Magnecor wires (thanks, again, Steve).

Howard

Quick Reply: Electronic Ignition Upgrade on 77 Carrera