Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

? about 90 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:44 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about 90 Cab

Looking for an 87-89 cab but recently saw a 90 cab with 83K miles, clean carfax report, looks like 3 owner car now at a small wholesale dlr. Has original maint. book with porsche dealer stamps for regular maint. for first two owners through about 60K miles. The last owner is a mystery with no maint. records and looks like they purchased through an auction.

After a test drive everything felt good but noticed fesh oil leaks on the bottom in many areas. Obvious needs are a new top and tires. Interior and exterior are excellent. Priced at about $21K. Want to follow my head on this one since I have time and want a daily driver to keep for many years. Would only buy after a complete ppi but wonder if I should stick with my search for a 3.2. The 3.6 sure did feel good though but am worried about reliability and any other issues vs. the 3.2 - which I've always heard positives.

Looking for some guidance and your experienced views. Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 11:14 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

the 1990 had the head to cylinder and cylinder to case leaking potential with no gaskets - expensive fix - just be careful and make sure you get a PPI done by someone who knows 964 issues.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The early 964's do have some potential issues that need to be looked for before buying. The above mentioned cylinder to head leak that Jeremy mentions is one. This leak is not common, but can occur. It is expensive to fix, but the procedure is a permanent solution.

The 2nd major 964 weakness is the Freudenberg Dual Mass flywheel. This flywheel tends to fail. It was replaced by a LUK unit that is more robust.

The third common problem is the need for a dual distributor vent kit. About $12 and 1/2 hr of labor is needed to retro fit an early 964. The dual distributor needs to be vented to keep ozone from building up and causing the dual distributor belt to fail. A new belt can be fitted for under $200.

If all of these issues have been addressed in the past or you are prepared to deal with them in the future, then the early 964 can be a great bargin for the performance you get for your dollar.

Also check that all the electrical accesories are working and all warning lights go out (and all the proper bulbs light up when the ignition is first switched on - see the owners manual). Electrical problems, while not common, can be expensive to fix. Check A/C operation and all the other usual used car areas (brakes, tires, suspension, clutch operation, etc).

If the car seems to be in good condition, have a PPI performed to find out the cause of those oil leaks and go from there. Early 964's are worth a look.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: ? about 90 Cab