Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:27 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Unhappy Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA

You and I were pulled over by a dirty cop on Saturday morning in Portland, Oregon just outside of Lombard exit on I5 and written a truck load of bogus tickets!!!

Are you on this list?

If you are we need to talk...I have contacted my attorney already.

Email me privately at-- patedwards@patedwards.net]

The rear of your 911 looked like this but said- "Carrera RS"

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 09-21-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:53 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG sounds like a good story? What happened???
Old 09-21-2003, 10:19 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by jonnyw
OMG sounds like a good story? What happened???

Its Saturday morning,I am on my way into the office. I pass a a beautiful Red Carrera RS going south on I5 into Portland. I get kinda log jammed behind a Honda doing about 45mph in a 55 in the far left lane and a small truck in the middle. I can't really go anywhere. The Red Carrera RS comes on my tail at a pretty fast clip of speed and launches out to the far right lane and passes the truck in the middle lane ...he is gone! I am still in the far right behind the Honda when the truck in the middle lane moves over to the right and gives me an opening to go around the creeping Honda. I am probabaly approaching about 50mph in speed when I see a bubble gum machine jumbling in my rear view mirror and coming up the middle lane fast.

I take a sigh of relief and say to myself "OMG he is after the RS",, which by the way is about a quarter to t a half mile down the road by now. So the cop closes behind me and the darts down the road in the left lane after the RS. Still in the middle lane proceeding now at about 55mph I begin to close on what was this cop tailing this RS closely in the middle lane,,,hand out the window,,,pointing back at me,,,"PULLOVER!"

WHAT!!!!

I pull over on to the right shoulder and by now another cruiser pulls up and the cop gets out fron the car behind me and walks to my window- I ask "Officer why am I being pulled over?" He says- "Well, this guy up here has one of you on radar", about this time the other officer is approaching the conversation as I was saying- "well its not me I was stuck in a pack of traffic back there" and the other cop (who alledgedly tagged- one of us with radar) says- "Well, how fast do you THINK you were going?" I said- Officer I was stuck in traffic back there behind a 45 mph Honda so the best I could have been doing was 50 when we passed you. He "huffs" and stumbling his donut laden waistline away. They asked us to remain in the car. I pull out a pen and start writing down on the back of an envelope everthing while it is sill clear in my mind.

10 minutes later he comes back - tickets in hand for the Red Carrera RS and I. I am figuring well the best this guy can write me for is no license plate on the front of my car. He reaches into my passenger window and hands me one ticket with THREE CITATIONS-

1- CARELESS DRIVING $237
2- SPEED RACING $421
3-SPEEDING (VBR) 97/55 $421

I completely flip out and said- "You've gotta be kidding me SPEED RACING???? 97 in a 55??? What the hell is this???" I said- Officer that Red Porsche passed me while I was in traffic how do you arrive at SPEED Racing if he passed me while I was in traffic and additionally do you really have me on radar going 97 MPH?"

He says- Well you were behind him so you had to be going that fast.

I said- BUT HE PASSED ME GOT DAMMIT! I was stuck in traffic and if I was going that fast then why isn't the Honda and the truck here with us? Additionally even if he did blast by me doing 97mph if would be physically IMPOSSIBLE for me to be going the same speed at the same time he PASSED me while you were nailing him on RADAR! Are you sure you've got me on RADAR doing 97MPH?

He now says- YES, I got you both. I said- "wait a minute first you ask me , how fast do I think I am going? then you tell me I was doing 97 in a 55 at the same time I am stuck behind a Honda and truck doing 45-55- which is it officer"

So he changes his story a THIRD time and says- "Well you were following him so you must have been speeding and if you want to talk about this any further you can do it in court!"

BOGUS, LYING, POS, Portland City Cop! He figured while he was on his way to pick-up the Red Carrera RS he would bag both Porsche's regardless if we were innocent- he got two for the price of one with 3 tickets each!

If we were speed racing as he alledges,,,why did he have to race another quarter to half mile down the road to nab the RS?

I was truly "below the speed limit" when the cop alledgedly nailed the RS going around me (personally I don't think the RS was going that fast ...he was fast but when he passed the cop he was well below 97 and we certainly were NOT racing with each other) in this crooked cops eyes we are guilty by association!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Minus000
Instructor

Thats awful man, I would definatly take it to court.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:54 AM
edhchoe
AutoX

I thought my Z3 was enough reason to get pulled over. Well, after reading your story, I will have to think again about owning a Porsche in the future. Some cops are just pigs.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:45 AM
lateapex911
Intermediate

Wow...the issue is often that you are guilty until proven innocent when it comes to minor traffic violations in America, as the court is clogged debating the rights of murderers. Not that this is 'minor' and it really sucks that this is the case.

That said, it is unfortunate that this is the case, because the officer becomes the complaintant, and the defacto judge and jury. If only because of the difficulty for the average citizen to prove that this is a trumped up bogus harrasment.

I have found that the outcome of the "pull over" is nearly always dependant on the person that pulls you over and their mood at the time. 50% of the time you may have an effect on the outcome, but when they have it out for you, it is all over.

I was pulled over on a cross country drive from CT to CA while driving through CO. I had just put the car on the road after a year in the shop, and it was my only ride, and I was VERY nervous about mechanical issues, so I held it to 65mph the whole way. And I checked the speedo many times with my stopwatch against mile markers for accuracy. So when a cop pulls down the entrance ramp behind me and pulls me over, and tells me I was going 79, I was shocked, and knew it was total BS. I may be an idiot, but I'm not a total idiot!

I politely told the officer of my shock, and the fact that I was trying to keep it under 65, and the fact that I had checked the speedo with my stopwatch, and that I doubted I could be that far off. Was there any possibility of a mix up?? perhaps his unit didn't clear after the last reading. Could I see the reading, please??

I knew I was on thin ice, but when he refused, then came back with his gun drawn and was told to get out with my hands spread on the pavement, I knew the ice was thinner than I thought. Much talk about a stolen Porsche and a chase and so on in Boulder. I was nowhere near Boulder, and couldn't find it if I had to! He wasn't interested, and the fact that I had all the proper paperwork was unimportant to him. He even denied that the VIN was accurate! I suggested he check the stamped VIN in the trunk, and he agreed, but I had to empty the entire contents (Moving across country) with one hand, at gunpoint. I wish I was kidding. At one point, he was yelling at me to "Identify a weapon when you are removing it" (I pulled out the jack handle) and I told him he needed to be clearer with the rules. I was getting nervous. When I emptied the trunk, and pulled the carpet, he instructed me to climb a barbed wire fence and stand in a field 50 feet away while he checked the VIN and went back to his car.

Eventually a second cop pulled up. He sauntered over to the fence, and asked what the heck I was doing standing in the field!? I yelled back the situation, and he shook his head and signaled me over. I told him the story, he wanted to see pictures of the restoration, then went oer to his buddy stilll sitting in his car. They came back, all buddy buddy like and sent me on my way. Except I had half an hour of repacking the contents of my life scattered on the side of the highway!

I was very lucky.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:48 AM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

Best thing to do is smile, accept the tickets, and ask if you can pay by mail. Then challenge the tickets later in court.

Doug
75 911S
Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

wow, those are both crazy stories, seems like you kept your cool pretty well for the situation. good luck with fighting that ridiculous ticket!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:24 AM
lateapex911
Intermediate

I just looked at your list of infractions again. In CT, "reckless driving" is a loss of lic. offense. So is racing. Not sure about your locality, but I might check in with a lawyer. Man the whole thing sucks!

Quick Reply: Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA