Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake Bleeder Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:58 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rick928,
Hate to admit it but the same thing happened to me! I placed a small piece of wood on each side of the tube and clamped the two pieces of wood together (tube in between) with a pair of vice grips. That way it did not crush the tube and worked great.
Good luck!
Old 11-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Mark sP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about getting a power bleeder. This is a worry though. I am paranoid about brake fluid.

I do hope that no damage was done to your car.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:33 PM
dial911
Instructor

Originally posted by rick928
I tried using the pressure bleeder tonight and at 10 psi, the brake fluid in the bleeder came out the reservoir drain tube (what a mess by the spare tire!). I'm guessing I have to plug this port prior to using the pressure bleeder. Anyone else had this problem?
The Motive Products bleeder comes with instructions. Read them, and you'll have no problems. It's a simple, but excellent tool.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:06 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep about a 3" long piece of rubber fuel line wrapped around the brake overflow tube where it exits the MC. When it comes time to bleed, just clamp the rubber hose with a small vice-grip and go to it.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:59 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

I hate to say it this frankly, but if you have trouble with that gizmo, it is very likely your fault. There is no path out the top for brake fluid, if you lock the handle in place and keep the container level. This is VERY easy to achieve on the 911 where you are working in the luggage compartment and where you can set things down nicely!

The brake bleeder is THE way to bleed brakes. If you brake them with the pedal, you likely will kill your master clylinder prematurely. You push the cylinder into a region of the bore where it doesn't go under normal operation. Crud that builds up will ruin the seals!

So, that all said, don't be scared and buy the bleeder. I use it on all our 4 cars and it is trouble free and fabulous. You don't ever have to refill the reservoir during bleeding because the bleeder does it for you. This is how shops do it.

Does the home depot home build cost much less and also feed brake fluid into the reservoir for you? Why go through the hassle of making your own if you can buy it for a mere 40? Whoever came up with a good and inexpensive solution for a brake bleeder (price the snap on unit in comparison!) needs to get our business.

Anyway, I don't sell these nor do I make them, but I felt I had to get up here and put in my two cents for all the scared people and nay sayers to hear.

George

PS: Brake fluid will not hurt anything if you wax your paint on a regular basis and wipe any brake fluid off immediately after you should spill. Only when you give it time to eat through the wax, into your paint, you are in trouble.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeder Mishap