Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air cooled values down the road....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the more I hear about "nannies" and other advanced technical driver aids which seem to be pointing to driverless cars, the more value I see in my no ABS/PS/PB,no nanny 911.

Those who want to gallop a horse instead of ride a carousel will be around for a while.

On the other side, we already cant drive manuals, brake properly or learn car control, so the demographics may roll over us.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what another poster said, its all relative. In the 1980's I used to look down on 55 Chevy's and Porsche 356's, like you said the millennials looked down on the air-cooled Porsches, in favor of the 930 Turbo's Ferrari 308's etc. Its a cycle where every 30-40 years a new crop of buyers start buying dream cars of their youth and the prices on them go up. I had come close to buying a Ferrari 308/328 a couple years ago and sad I didn't pull the trigger, based on the latest prices.

I think collector cars sort of follow a 2-hump camel curve where by there is a first curve of high demand from buyers you purchased them when they were new. Then, there is the used car depreciation curve followed by a second upward rise in demand (at 30-40 years ) where people who lusted after the cars long ago can now realize their dream of owning one. But, eventually, that second curve may turn down as this generation dies off and results in over supply of good cars and less demand.

I think one of Porsche's cherished attributes, the galvanized bodies, may haunt future values because there will simply be more cars that survive and less buyers looking to fulfill a dream.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

in the end who really cares .. i bought my car because i wanted it and love it .. the thought of value down the road never enters my mind.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:48 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
in the end who really cares .. i bought my car because i wanted it and love it .. the thought of value down the road never enters my mind.
Those who got the perfect 911 a few years back for $15k can act nonchalant about it all but if a new potential owner is looking at a $35k car that might need another $15k down the road to make it perfect & is on a budget cares.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Those who got the perfect 911 a few years back for $15k can act nonchalant about it all but if a new potential owner is looking at a $35k car that might need another $15k down the road to make it perfect & is on a budget cares.
This I agree with .. however .. looking at air cooled prices down the road is speculation, and equates to treating these cars like investments.

In my 2C that is just a mistake .. cars in general are investments ... just bad ones.. I don't think anyone should buy a car like this hoping its value maintains or increases. if that is your mind set I just don't think you are financially ready.

again just my 2 c .
Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Drisump
Racer

The question is would a high percentage of us have bought a car at current valuations? If I'm honest, I can't say. One of the compelling reasons I bought the car seven years ago was that she was in very nice shape for
Old 09-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Drisump
Racer

Moderator, can you delete the above post? For some reason the site posted a small portion of the post.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Drisump
Racer

The question is would a high percentage of us have bought a car at current valuations? If I'm honest, I can't say. One of the compelling reasons I bought the car seven years ago was that she was in very nice shape for
Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Drisump
Racer

Moderator.....what is going on? I've had to write two posts since the system deleted the first....and the second one met with the same fate.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
This I agree with .. however .. looking at air cooled prices down the road is speculation, and equates to treating these cars like investments.
You might see it as investment but others might see it as looking after their money, maybe their concern is buying at the wrong time and taking a big hit in value later on down the line - its like buying a new car - for sure you will check the depreciation of that car before pulling the trigger.

As values rise I expect there will be more questions over future value of these cars as there will be even more $$$ at stake.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mondrian
You might see it as investment but others might see it as looking after their money, maybe their concern is buying at the wrong time and taking a big hit in value later on down the line - its like buying a new car - for sure you will check the depreciation of that car before pulling the trigger.

As values rise I expect there will be more questions over future value of these cars as there will be even more $$$ at stake.
i dont see it is an investment at all, once the money is spent i equate it as gone ... but i think others might .. considering what might happen to the value of their asset.

Last edited by theiceman; 09-15-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Yes but different folks different strokes, you might write off $30k but at what level will you stop writing it off .... $50k, $75k, $100k, $200k, $500k? And everyone will have a different threshold.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
I agree with what another poster said, its all relative. In the 1980's I used to look down on 55 Chevy's and Porsche 356's, like you said the millennials looked down on the air-cooled Porsches, in favor of the 930 Turbo's Ferrari 308's etc. Its a cycle where every 30-40 years a new crop of buyers start buying dream cars of their youth and the prices on them go up. I had come close to buying a Ferrari 308/328 a couple years ago and sad I didn't pull the trigger, based on the latest prices.

I think collector cars sort of follow a 2-hump camel curve where by there is a first curve of high demand from buyers you purchased them when they were new. Then, there is the used car depreciation curve followed by a second upward rise in demand (at 30-40 years ) where people who lusted after the cars long ago can now realize their dream of owning one. But, eventually, that second curve may turn down as this generation dies off and results in over supply of good cars and less demand.

I think one of Porsche's cherished attributes, the galvanized bodies, may haunt future values because there will simply be more cars that survive and less buyers looking to fulfill a dream.
Right. Main thing I would add is they are ALL collector cars! Long as you take good care of them. Some years back I picked up a price sheet on used Porsches showing decades of history. Regardless of model they all depreciated for 10 years or so, bottomed out, then began steadily appreciating. It doesn't even take 30-40 years to start. By that point most have recovered their original price when new, and then some.

Witness 1980 911SC, never would've been considered a collector car, they made way too many, yet here they are 35 years later going for more than when new. Someone set out to prove me wrong on this once, only to cough up his Cheerio's when a Google search showed even a Chrysler K-car selling for more now than when new!

But I also think its normal that 20-somethings just don't see much value in older stuff. It could be just as you said, they grow up and buy the dream cars of their youth. It could also simply be that they are young and just don't know any better.

Or both!
Old 09-15-2015, 03:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chuck911
Right. Main thing I would add is they are ALL collector cars! Long as you take good care of them. Some years back I picked up a price sheet on used Porsches showing decades of history. Regardless of model they all depreciated for 10 years or so, bottomed out, then began steadily appreciating. It doesn't even take 30-40 years to start. By that point most have recovered their original price when new, and then some.

Witness 1980 911SC, never would've been considered a collector car, they made way too many, yet here they are 35 years later going for more than when new. Someone set out to prove me wrong on this once, only to cough up his Cheerio's when a Google search showed even a Chrysler K-car selling for more now than when new!

But I also think its normal that 20-somethings just don't see much value in older stuff. It could be just as you said, they grow up and buy the dream cars of their youth. It could also simply be that they are young and just don't know any better.

Or both!
selling for something for more than when new does not make it a collector , but i'm sorry , an SC is not a collectors car , no way no how , unless you have one with zero miles on it .

I'm sure a Pinto gets more than it sold for due to inflation alone and its kinda neat to see one.. but a collectors car ? that's a bit of a stretch.

a lot comes down to how we view things and I see on this thread we agree to disagree on some points. But don't look at the world through rose coloured glasses because we are all Porsche fans.

Air cooled cars are seeing a spike and its kinda neat that they are , means the garden variety targa sitting in someone's back yard may be brought back to life as the worth goes up .

But I still think buying vintage cars like this and worrying about if the price will be go up or down will lessen the enjoyment if the value of your ride is always on your mind.

if you can afford it , buy it, and enjoy it ..
Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
lucky strike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Economics 101...... Supply & demand.

I have a 85 911 Carrera with 52,000 miles in great shape.

How many were built? How many are left in good shape?

How many are even left at all? Supply & demand dictate the price.

Quick Reply: Air cooled values down the road....