Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

hood/lid alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 06:30 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post hood/lid alignment?

I looked at an '82 911SC today that was pretty clean. 80K, ran tight and strong, spotless engine top and bottom. The only thing that bugged me was the alignment of the front hood and engine lid. While the seams were straight, at the nose one side of the hood was flush with the fender, but at the other side is was a bit higher. Is this something that just requires adjustment, or a sign of something? The right fender had the original spot welds, but there looks like there was a small bit of bondo work near the accordian piece (the pain matched, but the surface was a bit rough).

Similarly, the rear engine lid was flush on one side, a bit high on the other. I looked at another one on the lot (California Cars...they specialize in used Porsches) and it had the same thing.

Is this just the way the cars are, or is it a sign of trouble? It wasn't way out of whack...but I'm just bugged by these kind of issues...especially if they are a warning flag. The shop also doesn't allow the car to go out for a PPI...but you can bring your own mechanic in and use their lifts (they have their own onsite shop).
Old 07-09-2001, 07:04 PM
carnut169
Advanced

First, I would suggest you post some photos if you want good advice- what we may have in mind may differ from what is really there.
Second, do not even think about buying a 19 year old car (Porsche or whatever) without having a FULL PPI. I don't know of any good mechanics who will give up 1/2 a day, bring their tools, etc. to do a PPI. That a dealer will not let you take the car to a shop for a PPI is crap. Have you suggested having it flatbed towed to your shop? It will cost your $50 or so, but that way no one drives his car. I say if it were to fail let him come get it. Good luck, Sean.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:59 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

Well...like carnut stated, its tough to really understand this problem for certain without seeing what you are describing. However, it sounds like it very easily could be that the latches and bumpers are just out of adjustment. This is VERY easy to fix. The bumpers simply turn, like a screw, for height adjustment. There is a bumper on each side of the lid. The latch heights can be adjusted with an allen wrench. The bigger question may be, why aren't they aligned? This question becomes more ominous with your statement that the dealer won't allow you to take it for an inspection! I've only had that happen to me once...and I told the guy to go fly a kite!!! That is a huge red flag in my book!!! NEVER, EVER buy one of these cars without a PPI from the mechanic of your choosing (after all, you are the one paying for it)! If that's really the case with this dealership, I wouldn't have anything more to do with them. If they are truly interested in selling a car they will allow it to be inspected. There are PLENTY of good cars out there...I'd keep looking.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:18 AM
nostatic
Instructor

yeah, frankly I left the place with a bad feeling....gotta go with my instincts and say no.

On the bright side I've found three other cars. The most promising being a 2nd owner car w/65K and full service history. Also a 3rd owner with 82K.

Both said PPI was no problem...I feel better already.

Quick Reply: hood/lid alignment?